Woven Planet is building the safest mobility in the world. A subsidiary of Toyota, Woven Planet innovates and invests in new technologies, software, and business models that transform how we live, work and move. With a focus on automated driving, smart cities, robotics and more, we build on Toyota's legacy of trust and safety to deliver mobility solutions for all.
For nearly a century, Toyota has been delivering products and services that improve lives. Automation that originated to increase the efficiency of daily activities has evolved into the safe, reliable, connected automobiles we enjoy and depend on today. Now, we are looking to the next 100 years and to extending that dream for a better life for all people. At Woven Planet we strive to build a safer, happier, more sustainable world.
Our unique global culture weaves modern Silicon Valley innovation and time-tested Japanese quality craftsmanship. The complementary strengths enable us to optimize safety, advance clean energy, elevate well-being, and improve how people live, work, and play. We envision a human-centered future where world-class technology solutions expand global access to mobility, amplify the capabilities of drivers, and empower humanity to thrive.
About the Organization
Woven Planet is developing automated driving technology using a data-driven approach. We’re building products at autonomy levels 2-4 to drive both near- and long-term improvements to mobility for all. Woven Planet has the backing of one of the world’s largest automakers, the talent to deliver on our goal, and a built in path to product and revenue—a combination rarely seen in the mobility industry. We’re looking for doers and creative problem solvers with a passion for improving lives.
Each member of our diverse and talented group of software and hardware engineers has the opportunity to make a meaningful impact on our technology and products. Our growing team works in brand new garages and labs in Palo Alto, tests AVs at our dedicated test track in Silicon Valley, and explores the industry’s most compelling research problems at our office in London. With support from our Woven Planet colleagues in Tokyo, our work to improve the future of mobility spans the globe.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer will both direct a team of engineers and/or contribute individually to the architecture and design of data-capture vehicles and autonomous vehicles. The Senior ME will drive the successful development of mechanical parts, assemblies, systems and vehicle platforms to meet safety, performance, cost, reliability and timeline targets. The Senior ME will work closely with the Analysis Reliability and Testing (ART) Team to analyze and iterate on mechanical designs and to test systems against requirements. This position requires the individual to effectively work cross-functionally with analysis, safety, electrical hardware, software, build, and procurement teams as well as external vendors. The Senior ME will also mentor other engineers, onboard new engineers, develop processes, and contribute to the health, success and growth of the Mechanical Engineering Team and Level 5. The Senior ME will report directly to the Mechanical Engineering Manager at Level 5.
- Convert cross-functional system requirements into mechanical engineering deliverables that meet all project goals
- Develop project plans and manage the workload of a team of mechanical engineers to deliver on all project goals and timelines
- Work as an individual contributor and/or lead of the design of mechanical parts and assemblies that meet the defined mechanical engineering deliverables
- Design mechanical parts and assemblies that: package electronics, mount start-of-art sensors, meet structural dynamics (or stiffness and stability)requirements, manage thermal generating components, incorporate Industrial Design elements, meet safety and regulatory requirements, and provide for a positive user experience.
- Lead cross-functional design reviews to gather and incorporate feedback from key stakeholders and teams
- Mentor and provide technical guidance to other engineers
- Contribute to the development of mechanical engineering processes
- Utilize and advance design quality tools such as FEA, tolerance analysis, First-Article Inspections, Design-for-Manufacturing, GD&T, etc.
- Lead discussions with vendors to incorporate DFM feedback and produce quality mechanical components
- Release and manage parts, assemblies, and Bill-of-Materials in a PLM system
- Contribute hands-on support to prototyping and vehicle builds
- Define and execute test plans
- Define incoming and outgoing quality control procedures
- Troubleshoot and solve complex problems in physical prototypes and builds
- Support sustaining engineering responsibilities on existing vehicle platforms
- Effectively communicate with all teams at Level 5 throughout the development process and at key milestone reviews
- 7+ years of mechanical engineering experience including complex product design
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or comparable experience
- Experience leading a team of people to deliver on complex technical requirements
- Experience with CAD (preferably Catia V5)
- Experience designing metal and plastic structural components (preferably including the design of plastic cosmetic parts)
- Experience designing packaging optical components and sensors
- Experience packaging custom electronics for harsh environmental conditions
- Experience designing products with thermal management requirements
- Experience with multiple prototyping and manufacturing processes such as: SLA, SLS, FDM, Cast Urethane, Sheet Metal, machined parts, part finishing
- Experience with TAs, FEA (Preferably including modal analysis), GD&T, DFM, DFA, FAI
- Experience mentoring other engineers
・We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity.
・We pledge that any information we receive from candidates will be used ONLY for the purpose of hiring assessment.