KwaraLEARN (Leading Education Achievement and Reform Now) is a core new education programme by the Government of Kwara State to deliver dramatic improvements in learning outcomes in public schools for all children across Kwara State.
KwaraLEARN will transform all government primary schools across the state into powerful public schools using an innovative technology and data-driven platform, coupled with high-quality learning materials, effective training and ongoing coaching for teachers and school leaders, and technology-enabled support teams to create 360-degree support for learning outcomes.
Working for the technical implementing partner for the programme, you will work towards preparing Kwara and its youth for a bright future with a strong educational foundation. Being part of this transformative programme will be a challenging but fulfilling experience. You will have the opportunity to impact young lives and help build the future of Kwara and Nigeria.
The programme is one of the most exciting and ambitious education programmes not only in Nigeria, but also across Africa. A quality education has the power to transform the opportunities for Kwara's youth and the State. In joining us, you will join a group of dynamic and passionate Nigerians taking concrete action to help ensure a better future for the children of Kwara.
Our people are at the core of what we do, and supporting a diverse workforce that spans many industries, and many cultures, while at the same time keeping everyone aligned to our mission and mandate takes focus and determination. We work at a massive scale. We are responsible for ensuring we support each team member to succeed, aligned to business goals and constraints. We are responsible for our human capital, including but not limited to all aspects of people operations including payroll, compensation and benefits; administration of all offices and support functions; and employee engagement. We are data-driven, and leverage technology to make both informed and efficient decisions and work processes. We are the champions of our values. We value continuous learning and extensive collaboration, and have a strong focus on performance. We are evidence-based, outcomes driven and lead through service.
About the role
We are looking for an operationally focused, relentlessly driven star to lead our People Group across the programme. This is a high-impact role for someone who loves challenges. You will be laser focused on motivating and retaining our best staff, and will work to ensure that our service delivery positively impacts all staff.
The ideal candidate comes from a strong commercial background. You may have retail, operations, or consulting experiences, with a strong track record managing organisations and people in very fast-paced environments. You are energetic, tireless, relentless, and you are comfortable dealing with people of all backgrounds.
What will you do
- Ensure top-notch global People service delivery. This means ensuring that all processes that touch employee needs are running smoothly. This includes all aspects of the employee life cycle, including contracting, employee on-boarding, payroll, benefits management, office administration, administration of off-site spaces, employee engagement, staff retention and career progression.
- Execute on a data-driven approach across all People activities. It is your responsibility to ensure you and your team are leveraging all available data to drive decision-making.
- You will collaborate with other Groups and Departments on programming, including but not limited to Schools, Talent Acquisition, Technology, and Finance.
- Align company processes and policies with best practices and employment/labour regulations in all countries of operation.
- Execute on performance and talent management initiatives and resource planning.
- Lead all investigations, meetings, and reviews related to any disciplinary issues of gross misconduct or gross negligence, as well as any appeals or grievances.
- Supervise the Manager, Administration and Manager, People Operations and other People staff as needed to ensure delivery of all People Group programming.
What you should have
- Bachelor’s degree in business or other related field with top academic marks; MBA/grad degree a plus.
- At least eight years experience, including within leadership roles and for rapidly scaling companies - across operational and project managerial capacities.
- Strong analytical thinker, ideally with previous experience in board commercial and operational areas.
- Self-starter; highly driven individual that will take ownership from the get-go and proactively look for improvement.
- Strong leadership skills and demonstrated ability to work with a very diverse workforce.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational, leadership, analytical problem solving and strategic thinking skills
- High integrity with zero tolerance for any unethical business practice.
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, NewGlobe works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate –The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner –You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely on your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.