We are looking for a payroll/finance administrator who is keen to continue their career, and build their knowledge in the specialist areas of customer finance and payroll.
About Koru Kids
At Koru Kids we have a triple mission: to support working parents during the hardest years of their life, to give children the best possible childhood to allow them to flourish as adults, and to create really great jobs for childcarers. The challenge is massive, but our team is crazy good.
In August 2019 we closed a £10m Series A funding round led by Atomico, one of the world’s best Venture Capital investors in technology start-ups. We’re growing fast and we need more people to join our outstanding Customer Operations team.
About the team
We have an informal, hard-working and kind team culture. We’re all determined to create a truly fantastic childcare service to help working parents. Our culture is friendly and fast paced – we are constantly challenging, testing and adapting the way we do things. We’re also really committed to working with integrity, doing the right thing and building a company we are truly proud of. We’re growing super fast but we also want to make sure that we are building a company on really solid foundations.
About the role
Customer Operations is at the heart of everything we do at Koru Kids. Finding the perfect nanny, or searching for the right family to work with, can be an emotional process and so our Customer Operations team is a vital part of what Koru Kids offers. The team expects to be managing invoicing, payroll and pensions for thousands of family and nanny relationships by the end of 2021.
The role will involve ownership of front line customer contacts (mostly email), answering basic queries and escalating others within the team, related to invoicing and payroll administration for families and pay/tax for nannies. You will also be responsible for regular tasks related to HMRC and pension administration, reporting and compliance.
To give you a bit more of an idea, some of the things you’ll be doing are:
- A high volume of front line customer interaction, resolving queries mostly via email or phone
- A considerable volume of data entry and analysis, including spreadsheet work
- Setting up pensions with employees and pension providers
- Advising our families/nannies on PAYE and NIC matters, resolving PAYE queries with HMRC and actioning HMRC coding notices, generating P45s and pay statements etc.
- Working with the team on our regular invoicing, payroll and credit control cycles
- General record keeping and administration relating to payroll and finance
Working hours will be from 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, and the role is fully remote (although you must be based in the UK). You’ll receive the training and support you need. You’ll be a crucial part of the team, and have our trust that you can do a great job!
Essential skills and behaviours we are looking for
- You’ll have some payroll knowledge and experience
- You are a team player with excellent communication skills
- You’ll have sound knowledge of excel/google sheets.
- You’ll be a strong prioritiser, responding to pressure calmly and in an organised manner.
- You can balance working quickly with being meticulous and detail-orientated.
- You’ll be able to adapt and succeed in an environment that is prone to change.
- You love speaking to new people. You’re warm, friendly and personable.
- You’re able to write clearly and accurately, with perfect spelling and grammar.
- You’re able to communicate in a way that’s in line with our brand and tone
- You’re emotionally intelligent. Although you’ll like to talk, the most important thing you’ll do is listen.
- You work well under pressure and show good judgement. You can handle challenging situations.
- You’re a problem solver. You’re able to gather and interpret information to solve customer queries.
- You’re detail-oriented. You’re able to input and update data accurately.
- You roll with it. You understand that startups are unpredictable environments. You are comfortable with a degree of chaos.
- You’re nice. You get that no player is bigger than the team. You fit right into our culture of supporting and helping each other, whilst improving childcare in London
The starting salary for this role will be £22-23k dependent on experience, with room for progression.
A note on process: Koru Kids recruitment processes can be a little different from the norm. We like to work very efficiently, and we expect you do too, so we use technology and scalable processes in our recruiting wherever we can to save everyone time.
It’s also really important to us to find the very best people we possibly can for our team, regardless of their background, and to be transparent. These are important values to us, and that’s why we have designed the process the way we have.
We do not review for CVs or cover letters upfront. Instead, we ask some simple screening questions which are separated from your name and double-marked blind, in order to reduce potential unconscious bias. Look out for the questions as the first step of the application. Of course, later on in the process we'll be delighted to get to know you and your life story — just not usually upfront. (For more context on this, and why we do things this way, check out this Twitter thread.)