Want to help build our amazing new service?
Childminder Recruitment & Support Associate
This is a rare opportunity to join a brand new team within Koru Kids and play a pivotal role in building our amazing new childminding service which will be launching later in 2021.
At Koru Kids we have a triple mission: to support working parents during the hardest years of their life, to give children the best possible childhood to allow them to flourish as adults, and to create really great jobs for childcarers. The challenge is massive, but our team is crazy good.
What does the role involve?
Our new childminding service will help talented people across London set up their own childcare business in their own home - providing a nurturing, exciting and creative environment for young children to thrive. A key element of this is recruiting and training up childminders to empower them to do the most important job in the world - caring for young children. This is where you come in.
We’re looking for someone to support our recruitment and training team to make sure that the best childminder applicants progress swiftly through our recruitment process and that our childminders are fully supported whilst they’re training with us and beyond.
You’ll be responsible for the smooth day-to-day running of our recruitment and training process:
- Reviewing and checking applications (although you won’t be asked to make judgements on candidates until you’re more experienced in the role)
- Scheduling interviews, assessments and training sessions
- Organising DBS and reference checks on candidates
- Doing simple analysis of our data and spotting opportunities to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our recruitment process
You’ll be responsible for first-line customer support for our childminders:
- You’ll be answering the phone and responding to enquiries via email and live chat
- You’ll be solving issues immediately where you can, and where an enquiry is more complex, finding the right person in the Koru Kids team to follow up with the childminder
- You’ll be a calm, friendly and approachable voice on the end of the phone for our childminders
- You’ll be able to spot common problems that our childminders are facing and help the Koru Kids team to devise solutions to stop them reoccurring
- You’ll be responsible for keeping our online childminder handbook up to date so childminders can find answers to their questions quickly and easily
You’ll be responsible for kick-starting and maintaining a positive, engaging and friendly online support community for our childminders:
- You’ll be in charge of ensuring childminders get swift responses to their questions - making use of our internal and external expertise to come up with answers and solutions
- You’ll find creative ways to engage the community and get people talking and sharing their experiences
We’re looking for someone who...
- Is a quick learner, enjoys being hands-on and is happy to help wherever they’re needed
- Is organised, comfortable with complicated processes and with a strong attention to detail
- Is calm, assured and diplomatic in challenging situations
- Can problem solve when things don't quite go to plan
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Is friendly and warm, enjoys helping people from all walks of life
- Is comfortable with numbers - not necessarily a PHD in maths, but you’ll be capable of doing simple analysis to understand how to improve the numbers of candidates coming through various stages of our application process
- Naturally spots opportunities for improvement in how things are run
- Can roll with it. You understand that startups are unpredictable environments. You are comfortable with a degree of chaos
- Is nice. You get that no player is bigger than the team. You fit right into our culture of supporting and helping each other, whilst improving childcare in London
- And ideally, has experience in a customer care or customer facing role
Important things to know...
Timing: We'd like to have the right person join as soon as possible.
Working Hours: The role is full time (9am - 6pm, Monday-Friday).
Salary & Benefits: The salary for this role is £22,000, with the opportunity for progression. You’ll also get 25 day holidays a year (plus bank holidays).
Location: You can do this role from anywhere in the UK and earn the same salary as you would if you were in London (where we are based). We welcome applications from people living outside London. Once the pandemic eases we will have an office in Central London that you can choose to work from if you’d like.
A day in the life...
Here’s an example of what you might expect from a typical day in this role at Koru Kids:
0900 - You make yourself a cup of tea and join a quick meeting with our friendly team where everyone checks in and runs through their focus for the day.
0920 - You open up the customer service inbox to be greeted with dozens of new enquiries that have come in overnight from new applicants following our recent marketing blitz! You decide to prioritise the inbox to respond first to urgent queries from our established childminders, and get going on those so they’ll be finished by mid-morning as you know people will be waiting for you to reply!
Whilst working your way through the inbox a call comes in from a potential applicant asking how long it takes to train to be a childminder and how we compare to one of our competitors. You have a nice friendly chat and feel like you’ve won her round by the time you wrap up the conversation!
Right - back to those emails!
1130 - You have your weekly catchup with Susie, your manager, to take her through the patterns you’ve noticed in the enquiries we’ve been receiving this week and the changes you think we need to make to our application and training process to make it clearer. Susie loves your ideas and suggests you speak to our training expert later in the week to brief them on the new changes you’re proposing.
1230 - After a busy morning you’re starving! You pop out for a bite to eat and a stroll in the nearby park whilst listening to your favourite podcast.
1330 - Two of our childminders have asked to speak to you on the phone so you give them both a ring. The first call is a difficult one - the childminder hasn’t been paid this month and is concerned about their mortgage payment which is due next week. You reassure her that you’ll speak to the finance team as soon as you can and give her an update by the end of the day. The second call is much more positive - the childminder‘s business is going from strength to strength and she’d like to expand by taking on an assistant. You give her an overview of how this would work and promise to send through some more detailed information once you’ve come off the phone.
1400 - You pop over and speak to the finance team about the childminder whose payment didn’t come through. The finance team explain that there has been a delay in some of our payments this month due to a bank error but promise it’ll be sorted tomorrow. Relieved, you write a quick message to the childminder reassuring her that the finance team have it under control and apologising for any distress it’s caused her.
1415 - Tea and cake! One of the team is turning 30 so it’s time for a large cup of tea and obligatory slice of Colin the Caterpillar!
1430 - Time to review all of our pending childminders applications - you have a few references to check, a number of interviews to schedule and a contract to prepare for someone who has just successfully passed their registration! You realise that some of our applicants haven’t filled in their personal details on the initial application form, so you email them to ask for them for some extra information.
1630 - Pending applications processed and inbox zero achieved, you have some spare time to hop onto our online community and scroll through some of the active conversations that are going on between childminders. You’re able to point someone in the right direction for some training resources we have about dietary allergies, and you message a few childminders who haven’t been active for a while just to check in and see how they’re getting on.
1700 - You hop on the tube to Clapham where you’ve organised an event at a local cafe for local Koru Kids childminders to get together and share their experiences and ideas. You’re running a competition for the best autumn activity idea so you’ve brought along a nice bottle of wine for the lucky winner!
1830 - The event was a roaring success and you’ve got loads of new ideas to add to our activity bank! Time to head home and recharge for another busy day tomorrow.
Koru Kids is building the world’s best childcare service, starting in London. We believe that every family should have the perfect childcare for their family to flourish.
We’re growing like crazy, are backed by fantastic investors, including top venture capitalists and business angels such as Michael Pennington the founder of Gumtree, and have won a ton of awards for our technology, people and social impact.
Our culture is informal, hard-working and kind. The team is an A++ when it comes to talent but our "no dickheads" rule means we're also a humble and supportive bunch.
We’re also really committed to working with integrity, doing the right thing and building a company we are truly proud of.
We have always promoted flexible working and are currently working remotely but we will have the option of an office space to work from later on in the year.