Childcare is a major pain. Every parent knows it. That’s why Koru Kids is building the world’s best childcare service, starting in London. We’re on a mission to profoundly improve the wellbeing of 1 million families in the next 5 years.
Parents who use our service LOVE it, and we’re growing super fast. We’re backed by fantastic investors, including top venture capitalists and business angels, and we’ve won a bunch of awards. We’re so proud of what we’ve built so far, but we’re only just getting started, with massive plans for 2021 and beyond.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from parents and non-parents alike. We are supportive of flexible working patterns.
We’re looking for a hands-on Principal Engineer to join our product engineering team.
It’s an opportunity to work in a greenfield domain that’s ripe for technology disruption, with so many opportunities that it’s tough to choose what to work on first.
If you are the sort of person with a track record of seeing how software and systems thinking can really impact a business and who thrives in an environment that loves to see you succeed - then this is the position for you.
What we want this role to do:
- Do stuff that notably benefits KK - influential thinker, creates opportunities, impacts course of business
- Help squads make confident choices on what they do next (this is different from “just doing engineering stuff”).
- Work with super bright, less experienced team members and accelerate their careers (and the squads’ capability)
- Find opportunities to do things better and then make that change happen.
- Be a major contributor to the technical vision for the department.
- Code. Every day.
About the team
The product and engineering team is composed of small squads focussed on different parts of the domain. With a fourth squad made up of Manish (Chief Product Officer), James (CTO) and Michael (Head of Engineering) working to create an environment for squads to flourish.
Culture-wise, like the rest of Koru Kids, there is a high degree of openness and transparency. Squad members work together as much as possible and across disciplines. Engineers are experienced with pairing, test automation and have a disciplined approach to incidents. At the end of every week, we join the rest of the company to showcase and celebrate what we’ve accomplished.
Whilst we have titles we are not precious about roles - and team members are encouraged to reach out and engage with whomever they want. In fact, for this role - you should expect exec members to be coming to you, to seek out your advice and discuss ideas.
It’s most likely that this role will start off in the squad that looks after how we select and on-board nannies into the platform.
From a tech perspective, it’s Ruby (on Rails), JS (React) for the main platform - hosted on Heroku with GCP bits for serverless, pub-sub and data warehouse. We’ve also got an app that’s built in React native.
- You have led software projects of various sizes in the past, capable of breaking down nebulous problems into manageable pieces with your fellow team members.
- Track record of making a difference with software solutions that have created opportunities at company level.
- You love shipping code and seeing how it performs in production and are therefore passionate about delivery pipelines, A/B testing, real-time analytics and monitoring tools.
- You’ve established a reputation for software engineering at the places you’ve worked and also within the community.
- Healthy disrespect of processes over just doing the right thing.
- You are customer centric and work well with product managers, getting actively involved in strategy formation and customer and market research.
- You have examples of where you have developed other people in your team
- You put the squad before yourself and the business before the squad - it’s not about personal recognition.
- Your opinions are well regarded - sought out by CEO and has direct access to snr execs
- Examples of coaching a squad to take calculated risks.
- Bonus points for experience in childcare or marketplace technology business