If you get excited by the idea of creating new businesses from the ground up in a dynamic high-intensity environment, have a natural curiosity to uncover, understand and solve meaningful human & market problems, then your place is with us!
We are Koru.
A groundbreaking venture incubator created by the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan that builds new business models, experiences, and technologies to drive disruptive growth for OTPP’s portfolio companies. We merge the good facets of the corporate world (Stability, Funding, Domain Expertise, Credibility) together with great attributes of a fast-paced startup (Agility, Quick iteration, Scrappiness, New technology, Flat structure).
You can unleash your product design superpowers working side by side with a carefully selected small group of startup veterans in product, engineering, growth, research and business. As we continue to disrupt industries, it is vital that the ventures we set up are customer-focused, technically feasible, financially viable and built to operationally scale.
you will have a unique opportunity to be exposed to a wide array of industries, and be a vital voice around our decision making table. As we continue to shape our design capabilities at Koru, you will have the possibility to go deep within specific venture projects, while contributing to our internal tools, methods and approaches to venture architecture.
As a Product Designer, you will:
Validate business and product ideas
- Create rapid and scrappy prototypes, wireframes, and other artifacts to run early experiments and validate new business concepts
- Illustrate design ideas using storyboards, process flows and sitemaps
- Help in identifying, planning, and conducting user research, both evaluative and generative, alongside our User Research team
- Explore opportunities and solutions in a variety of industries and contexts to solve customer and market problems
Craft great product, business and brand experiences from the ground up
- Work with Product, Design and User Research leads to shape the user experience of startups on a 0-1 team: create wireframes, user flows, and high-fidelity designs, or anything else necessary to build and launch a new startup
- Work with brand designers on developing and validating a brand that resonates with its audience for new Koru startups
- Collaborate across the venture team with Product, Engineering, Growth and BizOps counterparts to create a holistic and simple end-to-end product and service experience
Contribute to the growing Design team at Koru and our ventures
- Establish a design system and its surrounding processes for new Koru startups to help a startup scale quickly
- Ensure design quality by giving and soliciting constructive feedback from peers and team members
- Help level up the Koru team and its ventures’ teams on best practices and methodologies for UX and design across platforms and industries
You should have:
A solid background
- A strong portfolio showing your design experience on a product team, with a focus on how you've turned research insights into products and concepts, and how you arrived at your solutions (we love getting into the weeds of the problems you’re tackling)
- 3+ years design experience in a successful software product team
The right mindset
- The curiosity and desire to jump in to learn about and tackle new challenges across a variety of different industries and products (for example, we’ve built startups in regenerative farming, reverse logistics and fintech amongst others!
- Ability to think about the big picture, with understanding and curiosity about user, technical and business goals to drive your design decisions
- Ability to extrapolate and translate research insights into your designs to create products our users love and value
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate design processes, ideas, and solutions to teams and stakeholders
- Proficiency with popular design, prototyping and collaboration tools (e.g., Figma, Sketch, Miro, Airtable, UserTesting, Maze etc.)
It would be excellent if you had:
- Interest in the design community, understanding the industry’s latest trends and technologies and a good network of other local and international designers
- Experience with complex prototyping tools like Framer or Haiku
- Past startup experience
Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
Diversity of perspectives and experience is at the core of how we approach disruption and innovation. We believe in fostering an environment where team members of all backgrounds can feel comfortable bringing their whole selves to work every day. We aim to ensure all of our employees work in an environment that makes them feel valued, heard and supported while they strive towards career pursuits and their personal and professional growth.
We are committed to providing accommodations for all candidates that require them and in all aspects of the recruitment, selection, and/or assessment process. If you are selected to participate in any part of the selection and/or assessment process, please inform us of any accommodation(s) that you may require.
Koru’s offices are located in downtown Toronto. We humbly acknowledge that Koru HQ is located on land that is the traditional territory of the Mississaugas of the New Credit, Chippewa (Anishinaabeg), Haudenosaunee, and Wendat. This territory is covered by the ‘Toronto Purchase: Treaty 13’ which was the surrender of the lands from the Mississaugas of the Credit to the British Crown initially in 1787.
Koru staff and/or board members are made up of settlers, immigrants, descendants of immigrants, or a combination thereof. Our roots lie in continents across the world and we are grateful for the opportunity to share this land where we work and live.