If you get excited by the idea of creating new businesses from the ground up in a dynamic high-intensity environment, have an entrepreneurial spirit and know-how to be scrappy, a proven track record in building up operational excellence in digital-focused startups and have a financial mindset, then your place is with us!
are Koru - a groundbreaking venture foundry created by the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan that builds new business models, experiences, and technologies to drive disruptive growth for OTPP’s portfolio companies. We merge the good facets of the corporate world (Stability, Funding, Domain Expertise, Credibility) together with great attributes of a fast-paced startup (Agility, Quick iteration, Scrappiness, New technology, Flat structure).
At Koru -
You can unleash your business strategy & operational superpowers working side by side with a carefully selected small group of startup veterans in engineering, product, design and business. As we continue to disrupt industries, it is vital that the ventures we set up are not only customer-focused and technically feasible to build but also financially viable and built to operationally scale.
With us, you will have a unique opportunity to be exposed to a wide array of industries, be a vital voice around the decision-making table especially around business strategy, including but not limited to, marketing, pricing and operational structures needed to commercialize. You will have the possibility to go deep within one venture, but also help shape the role of venture architecture at Koru for years to come.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Diversity of perspectives and experience is at the core of how we approach disruption and innovation. We believe in fostering an environment where team members of all backgrounds can feel comfortable bringing their whole selves to work every day. We aim to ensure all of our employees work in an environment that makes them feel valued, heard and supported while they strive towards career pursuits and their personal and professional growth.
- Drive the thinking and execution around selecting the optimal business model options for your startup venture
- Lead the business team within the venture including growth marketing, business operations and venture build
- Perform market opportunity identification & development, including business and proposal development, market discovery, competitive landscape, and opportunity analysis
- Develop economic and financial models to form the backbone of an investment case early in the evolution of a venture, and then also as the basis for the commercial launch and go-to-market strategies down the road.
- Test and validate assumptions while creating sensitivity analysis for key drivers
- Establish key performance indicators for venture outcomes
- Team up with strategic design and product management to define the minimum viable product or service for the venture
- Identify key strategic partners needed from a regulatory POV, and or acceleration of MVP adoption
- Lead the venture architecture craft at Koru - Build up the core competencies matrix together with Koru management and establish your footprint in years to come.
Qualifications & Skills
- Be Scrappy!
- 7+ years of industry experience in business planning, strategy development, or senior operational role within a high-pressure start-up environment and/or consulting firm
- Expertise in building business models, assessing economic modelling and feasibility of business cases
- A bachelor in a relevant field (Business, Finance, Psychology, Economics, strategy or equivalent). An advanced post-graduate degree or MBA is preferred
- Proven track record in building strong partnerships with product, engineering, design and leadership.
- A demonstrated ability to influence decisions with persuasive storytelling and a data-driven informed point of view
- Willingness to travel
- Experience in building completely new products, and bringing them to the market
- Experience with advanced quantitative modelling software such as R
- Experience running customer discovery work including interviews
- Experience in product management / Design