Nottingham City Centre
Koodoo is a new financial technology business that is shaking up the world of mortgages. The mortgage market is undergoing a major shift, with much more emphasis being placed on consumer choice, transparency and the potential role for new technology. Backed by the UK’s leading digital venture builder (Blenheim Chalcot), Koodoo is building the technology to help connect customers seamlessly and intelligently with their next mortgage. We are working with some of the biggest names in the industry to deliver a better mortgage application and renewal experience to millions of borrowers in the UK.
About Blenheim Chalcot
Blenheim Chalcot has an unrivalled track record for building successful and disruptive digital ventures. Providing much more than just funds, businesses in the Blenheim Chalcot portfolio benefit from over 20 years of experience, knowledge, ideas and infrastructure. With offices in London, Nottingham, Edinburgh, New York and Mumbai, over 3000 employees, sales of over £300m, and a track record of building over 40 companies, the Blenheim Chalcot model aims to create an “unfair advantage” for its companies as they grow from ideas into multi-million pound, market-leading businesses. Companies in the portfolio, past and present, include Agilisys, TDX, ClearScore, Oakbrook Finance, Liberis and Salary Finance.
We have launched a cloud-based, API-driven service that connects mortgage customers with the best financial products for their needs. We have already gone live with a major partner, resulting in a major uplift in customer engagement. We are using some of the latest technologies and development patterns. We are building and managing ‘true’ microservices, using NodeJS, MongoDb, Google Cloud, Kubernetes, Docker, Tyk API gateway, CircleCI, and much more.
Our technology philosophy
At Koodoo, we believe that if something is worth building, it is worth building right. We choose the latest tools and technologies that help us deliver amazing software and stay ahead of our competitors. We operate as a truly agile business; we don’t think it’s just something that the dev team do. We believe in the SOLID principles, design patterns and clean code; we believe in creating systems that are built for integration; we believe that all software should be built test-first, with automated QA at the heart of the engineering team; we believe that DevOps is a full team responsibility - a mindset, not a job title; we believe that software should be built for true continuous delivery (release early, release often). Furthermore, we believe that great software development teams should have a culture of mutual support, continuous learning, ownership… and fun!
- Pension scheme (3% employer; 5% employee)
- Flexible benefits package worth up to £800 a year (pro-rated in first year)
- 25 days holiday (with the option to buy more)
- Life Assurance
- Bonus scheme
- Flexible working
- Dev staff issued with MacBook Pro
- Investment in training and conferences 10% time to develop new ideas and experiment with new technologies
- Regular hackathons and events to promote teamworking and ongoing learning
- Modern, spacious office environment with free tea, coffee and fruit
- You will be joining a software engineering team that takes quality seriously. You should bring that same passion for building the best software you can.
- You will have a strong focus on clean code, you will understand the value of software patterns and will favour test-first development.
- You will also have a passion for staying abreast of the latest developments in the software development landscape, and a personal ethic of continuous learning and self-improvement.
- We build to a microservices architectural pattern on the MERN stack (Mongo, Express, React, Node), using the latest tools, frameworks and techniques.
- While we favour a ‘full stack’ mindset, there will be opportunities for you to specialise in front end or back end development.
- Even if you haven’t yet had the opportunity to build them, you will understand the core principles of developing microservices, along with some of the pros and cons.
- As a small, focused team operating in a startup environment, we place a great emphasis on delivery and our ability to get new features live quickly, without compromising on quality, security or user experience.
- We host our services in Docker containers, managed by Kubernetes on Google Cloud Platform, supported by rich automated testing and deployment pipelines.
- As we consider DevOps to be a full team responsibility, it will be an advantage if you have experience of Continuous Delivery practices and toolchains, and ideally some hands-on experience with public cloud services.
- We encourage a high degree of personal ownership, and all members of the team have the opportunity to contribute to the architectural design and the decision-making process.
If you recognise yourself in the above description, and the idea of working in a fast-paced, supportive and fun environment - where building code to a high standard is both expected and encouraged - then Koodoo is the place for you. You will find yourself working with some of the smartest, and we like to think nicest, software professionals that you could ever hope to work with!