Health Safety and Environment Lead
KoBold Metals is a mineral exploration company using AI to explore for the metals we need for our transition to a low-carbon economy. KoBold’s business is discovering, defining, expanding, and developing mineral resources, and KoBold’s objective is to achieve a step-change improvement in exploration success: we aim to discover more tier 1 resources, faster, and with fewer failures.
KoBold has a global portfolio of more than 50 exploration properties targeting nickel, copper, cobalt, and lithium, which range from 100%-owned to partnerships with both majors, junior explorers, and prospectors.
Our team includes the best of the industry in exploration geoscience, data science, software engineering, operations, and business personnel. Prior to joining KoBold, KoBold team members have made nearly 20 discoveries. Our exploration programs are co-led by our geoscientists and data scientists, who develop exploration hypotheses, rigorously quantify uncertainty in our understanding of the subsurface, and design data collection programs that most effectively reduce uncertainty, drawing upon a large suite of proprietary exploration technology built by our data scientists and software engineers. Our field programs validate and improve the system and have demonstrated material improvements over conventional exploration methods
KoBold is privately held and our investors include: institutional asset managers T. Rowe Rice and Canada Pension Plan Investments; technology venture capitalists Andreessen Horowitz, Bill Gates’s Breakthrough Energy Ventures, BOND Capital, Standard Investments, and Sam Altman’s Apollo Projects; and leading natural resources companies Equinor, Mitsubishi, and BHP.
About The Role:
This role will provide health and safety program leadership for the company as well as provide direct HSE guidance to field projects . The HSE Lead will have primary responsibility to design, adapt, implement and maintain the company’s health and safety management system. The HSE Lead will be responsible to understand the HSE compliance requirements in the jurisdictions where the company operates, build and manage the complementary HSE programs, and advise project teams on HSE specific standards and reporting. The HSE Lead will provide coaching and leadership to build HSE capacity and capability within the company, project teams and the contractor workforce.This role will include
Reporting to the Field Operations Manager, responsibilities of this position include:
- Help design and cultivate a behavior-based HSE culture in the company.
- Design, implement and maintain the company HSE Management System.
- Ensure that HSE protection compliant standard work procedures and systems are developed, implemented, understood and monitored.
- Ensure that incidents are reported, recorded, and translated into system or behavioral improvements.
- Ensure that all team members are adequately trained in HSE standards and requirements to properly complete work.
- Attend safety/toolbox meetings and communicate expectations with a focus of continued improvement of the HSE Management System and to address team member concerns.
- Provide a high level of safety expertise, coaching and leadership to project leaders and contracted work force leaders.
- Lead HSE initiatives and continuous improvement plans, including transparent HSE KPIs and statistics in a dashboard or similar format.
- Develop reports on compliance, improvement, and workforce engagement.
- Participate in operational and major hazard risk assessments and audit activities.
- Lead incident investigation teams and ensure that reporting is completed.
- Travel to remote work sites as required.
Our ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years of recent, related experience including construction, oil and gas or mineral exploration, mining or related field experience, supplemented by a diploma in occupational health and safety or relevant university degree; or equivalent combination of training and experience. You will also have a designation or eligibility as a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP). Our candidate should be able to demonstrate understanding of HSE issues and risks in mineral exploration and knowledge of health and safety legislation, regulations, policies and practices.
In addition to the above, you will have:
- Considerable experience implementing and supporting safety programs, workplace inspections, audits and incident investigations (using Taproot, ICAM, ICS or similar programs).
- Wilderness first aid certification
- Ability to guide supervisory staff on safety matters through active listening and transparent communication.
- Strong analytical and research skills and a high degree of integrity and professionalism.
- Can facilitate in-house safety training. (WHIMIS, TDG, Bear Aware).
- Sound knowledge and ability to interpret and apply relevant regulations and legislation such as workers compensation, occupational health, emergency response, and environmental protection.
- Ability and availability to travel to remote work sites as required. Multiple trips of a week or more are expected during each calendar year.
KoBold Metals is an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity for people of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
The US base salary range for this full-time exempt position is $125,000-$165,000.
Location: Remote, Candidates can be located anywhere in the United States or Canada. All candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States or Canada.