About the company:
KoBold Metals is a mineral exploration company using AI to explore for the metals we need for our transition to a low-carbon economy. KoBold’s business is discovering, defining, expanding, and developing mineral resources, and KoBold’s objective is to achieve a step-change improvement in exploration success: we aim to discover more tier 1 resources, faster, and with fewer failures.
KoBold has a global portfolio of more than 50 exploration properties targeting nickel, copper, cobalt, and lithium, which range from 100%-owned to partnerships with both majors, junior explorers, and prospectors.
Our team includes the best of the industry in exploration geoscience, data science, software engineering, operations, and business personnel. Prior to joining KoBold, KoBold team members have made nearly 20 discoveries. Our exploration programs are co-led by our geoscientists and data scientists, who develop exploration hypotheses, rigorously quantify uncertainty in our understanding of the subsurface, and design data collection programs that most effectively reduce uncertainty, drawing upon a large suite of proprietary exploration technology built by our data scientists and software engineers. Our field programs validate and improve the system and have demonstrated material improvements over conventional exploration methods
KoBold is privately held and our investors include: institutional asset managers T. Rowe Rice and Canada Pension Plan Investments; technology venture capitalists Andreessen Horowitz, Bill Gates’s Breakthrough Energy Ventures, BOND Capital, Standard Investments, and Sam Altman’s Apollo Projects; and leading natural resources companies Equinor, Mitsubishi, and BHP.
About the position
In this role, you will work with the Chief Strategy Officer with a primary role to source, pursue, diligence, and transact on opportunities to partner (i.e., acquire, earn-in, joint venture, etc.) on existing mineral tenement positions.
The Business Development Manager will be responsible for:
- Proactively and reactively sourcing opportunities to partner (i.e., acquire, earn-in, joint venture, etc.) on existing mineral tenement positions
- Coordinating internally to technically screen such partnership opportunities
- Supporting and/or leading transaction diligence
- Supporting and/or leading commercial negotiations on acquisitions, earn-ins, and joint ventures
- Manage deal flow database
- Conducting economic assessments on specific battery metals development projects
A great Business Development Manager candidate will have:
- BA/BS in the physical sciences, engineering, mathematics, economics (BA/BS or more advanced degrees in geology or related disciplines is strongly preferred)
- 4+ years work experience in mineral exploration and/or mining business development
- A strong professional network within mineral exploration and/or mining
- Experience with economic modeling of natural resource development projects
- Experience with and/or strong intuition for global market dynamics
- Regardless of formal training, a strong interest in and/or strong intuition for the physical sciences, inclination to work from first principles, and desire to understand technical underpinning of commercial transactions.
KoBold Metals is an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunities for people of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
This position is full-time, exempt.
The full time exempt salary for this position is: $150,000-$200,000
Location: KoBold is a remote first workplace, we are open to candidates currently residing anywhere in the United States or Canada. All candidates must be authorized to legally work in either the United States for Canada