Kobalt is one of the world’s largest, most innovative music companies, using technology to power creative freedom, transparency, ownership and control for artists, songwriters, publishers, and labels.
Founded in 2000 by Swedish entrepreneur Willard Adhitz, the startup built a platform to maximize efficiency, accuracy, and transparency across the billions of micro-payments collected in today’s highly complex digital world. As the traditional music companies fought technology and contracted, Kobalt embraced it and grew, building an infrastructure and world-class creative team purposely designed to usher in the streaming era, along with a more fair, rewarding music business for creators. Our technology enables them to access royalty payments 4x faster while also maximising the royalty collection amounts.
With over 400 employees in 12 offices around the world, Kobalt today represents over 31,000 artists and songwriters, 700,000 songs and 600 publishing companies. Kobalt is proud to work with artists, songwriters, and companies like Childish Gambino, Max Martin, Paul McCartney and MPL Communications, Disney Music Group, and many more.
Kobalt continues to grow 3x faster than the market and as such has a continuous focus on scaling out its systems, products and services to cope with the increasing demand. One of the key opportunities for Kobalt is to address the masses of songwriters that are reasonably early in their careers and as such struggle to get representation from strong publishers. As most publishers depend on primarily manual processes, the cost of service usually outweighs the revenue potential that those songwriters would generate. Through technology, Kobalt aims to reduce the cost of service for each individual songwriter, making it viable to support large numbers of songwriters at a marginal cost.
Who is the Royalties team?
- It is made of 2 teams and deals with processing incoming royalty data, taking into account complex licensing deals and ultimately generating payments, statements and insights.
- The area has also gone through significant transformation over the last few years due to limitations with the legacy system and a consistent increase in royalty volume (we processed 226 million royalties in 2018 and 1.8 billion in 2021). As such this role will provide technical direction on the continuation of this journey whilst maximising business impact and process optimisation.
Team Tech Stack:
- Because of these legacy limitations our stack is moving away from the monolith (Oracle/PLSQL+Java Swing) to AWS with a microservices and data pipelines architecture.
- We use SpringBoot for services, Kafka for stream processing, S3 for storage, Spark+Airflow for data processing, Athena/Tableau for insights, Terraform for infrastructure and CircleCI for continuous deployments.
- Recent successes include moving the majority of royalty processing to the cloud whilst increasing speed by 10x, surfacing royalty data to end users and having a bespoke aggregated view with financial insights for business users.
What you will bring:
- You will bring extensive system and architecture knowledge, experience in solving the most complex and difficult software engineering problems, and you’ll contribute to setting technical strategy for both function and across organisation.
- You’ll provide technical leadership to the royalties area while promoting high-quality code, good engineering practices and clear documentation and support the development process by empowering and mentoring engineers.
- You’ll be a part of Kobalt’s tech leadership team and support in defining our tech strategy, make pragmatic recommendations on technologies for our products and create understanding for the engineering teams.
What does success look like:
- You’re able to move the needle both on the engineering goals as well business. You’re able to help build a high performing engineering capability for your area, hiring, growing & retaining great people and instilling great ways of working.
- You’ll accrue substantial knowledge of how the industry operates and become a lighthouse for the engineering teams & peers around you.
What do we offer:
- Salary Range: Discuss with the Talent Partner.
- Flexible working. KTech operates with a hybrid working policy (fully remote possible).
- 25 days annual.
- 1 wellbeing day per quarter.
- Half day summer Fridays (July and August).
- Christmas closure.
- Meeting free Fridays afternoon outside of the summer months. We use this as dedicated learning time.
- Matching pension contribution.
- Health Insurance.
Interview Process and our commitments to you:
- Recruiter Call (30mins)
- Hiring Manager Call (60 mins)
- Technical Round (120 mins)
- Cultural Round (30-45mins)
- We are committed to completing the process in 2 working weeks and are willing to be flexible to meet the candidates requirements.
- We are also committed to providing feedback on each interview no longer than 24hrs after the interview via email, telephone call or ZOOM.