Kobalt is one of the world’s largest, most innovative music companies, using technology to power creative freedom, transparency, ownership and control for artists, songwriters, publishers, and labels.
Founded in 2000 by Swedish entrepreneur Willard Adhitz, the startup built a platform to maximize efficiency, accuracy, and transparency across the billions of micro-payments collected in today’s highly complex digital world. As the traditional music companies fought technology and contracted, Kobalt embraced it and grew, building an infrastructure and world-class creative team purposely designed to usher in the streaming era, along with a more fair, rewarding music business for creators. Our technology enables them to access royalty payments 4x faster while also maximising the royalty collection amounts.
With over 400 employees in 12 offices around the world, Kobalt today represents over 31,000 artists and songwriters, 700,000 songs and 600 publishing companies. Kobalt is proud to work with artists, songwriters, and companies like Childish Gambino, Max Martin, Paul McCartney and MPL Communications, Disney Music Group, and many more.
Kobalt continues to grow 3x faster than the market and as such has a continuous focus on scaling out its systems, products and services to cope with the increasing demand. One of the key opportunities for Kobalt is to address the masses of songwriters that are reasonably early in their careers and as such struggle to get representation from strong publishers. As most publishers depend on primarily manual processes, the cost of service usually outweighs the revenue potential that those songwriters would generate. Through technology, Kobalt aims to reduce the cost of service for each individual songwriter, making it viable to support large numbers of songwriters at a marginal cost.
Over the last 2 years, we have made great progress in replatforming some of our existing systems, with key emphasis on data processing pipelines as they’re the most sensitive to exponential volume growth. While we will continue those efforts for the remainder of 2021, we are now also at the beginning of the journey of providing better client experiences to our songwriters. Our plan is to focus on financial analysis dashboards, catalogue management and licensing tools that will help our songwriters manage their copyrights on a global scale.
Our development platform is constantly being improved and at the moment we’re focusing on the following technologies (with scope to consider others when appropriate):
- Frontends and BFFs: React and Node.js
- Backend APIs and services: Java (and Scala but only in a spark context)
- Infrastructure as code: Terraform
- Cloud Deployments: AWS, CloudFlare, Kubernetes and CircleCI
- Data processing: Kafka, Spark
- Ability to work in a data driven environment
- You have expertise in Scala or Python or Java languages and are interested in learning more
- Experience with both big data technologies (e.g. Spark, NoSQL databases) and SQL
- Experience with workflow orchestration (e.g. Airflow)
- Good knowledge of cloud platforms, e.g. AWS/GCP/Azure, understanding of infrastructure as-code (e.g. terraform) is a plus
- Some experience in Linux, Git, and Docker
- Exposure to CI/CD pipelines and test automation (unit, integration, end to end)
- Experience of working under agile project/delivery methodologies
- Excellent attention to detail with a strong sense of urgency
- Highly collaborative and comfortable working cross-functionally
- Actively participate in defining and building data-driven solutions
- Contribute to the exploration of new technologies including analytics engines/databases, data warehouses, etc
- Apply security best practices in every step of the project
- Practice DevOps culture that has CI/CD & automation within the team
- Positively contributes to continuous technical development of project team