We are seeking a Senior Director to join our team of talented attorneys. Based in New York, this position will report directly to our General Counsel and will be working closely with our Global Digital team to manage Kobalt’s partnerships with a wide variety of digital service providers.
This role plays a key role in the company’s evolving digital strategy, ensuring that Kobalt’s agreements with DSPs and other contract partners are fully protective of both Kobalt’s and our publisher and songwriter clients’ interests. As the Senior Director, you will be hands-on in the negotiating and drafting agreements, with a particular focus on digital deals but including other relationships and agreements managed by the business affairs team.
WHAT DOES A SENIOR DIRECTOR, BUSINESS AFFAIRS DO AT KOBALT?
- You will review, draft, negotiate and execute a variety of music agreements, with particular focus on licensing agreements with digital service providers, including Spotify, Apple, Amazon, Facebook, TikTok, Pandora and YouTube, as well as a wide variety of established and emerging digital services within the quickly evolving digital music space.
- You will work closely with different departments within Kobalt, including our Business Development, Synch, Operations, and Corporate Finance teams to implement Kobalt’s overall global digital strategy.
- You stay informed of industry trends within the digital space as well as maintain good relationships with external partners and various industry groups.
- Lead legal contact for anti-piracy & enforcement efforts, working closely with Global Digital Partnerships team on strategy to protect Kobalt’s writers and publishers rights.
- You will also assist the General Counsel as needed in areas of general practice.
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Solid track record working as an attorney in the music industry negotiating and drafting digital content licensing agreements and other music publishing agreements is required.
- Strong communication, negotiation and drafting skills.
- A team player who is highly adaptable and comfortable working in a fast-paced and evolving environment.
- Sensitivity to confidential information and material.
At Kobalt we’ve prioritized creators since we first started in 2000. Our music services and the technology we’ve built helps make the industry more fair and rewarding for artists. We’re trusted by some of the world’s biggest names like Childish Gambino, Akon, Freya Ridings, Paul McCartney and The Red Hot Chili Peppers and represent more than 40% of the top 100 songs and albums in the U.S. and U.K.
We thrive on creativity and are committed to championing diversity. We’re dedicated to inclusiveness and provide all the resources and benefits you need to grow your career and reach your potential. We offer competitive compensation packages, professional development opportunities, and an entrepreneurial culture that makes working here not just fun, but also rewarding.