Kobalt Music’s Publishing department is looking for a personable and professional Assistant Manager to join the team that manages the copyright administration for the Asia Pacific territories. The role is based in our Sydney office reporting to the Managing Director there as well as the Copyright Manager based in London. As the Publishing Operations teams are based in London, you will therefore act as the liaison between the UK departments and Kobalt’s network of publishers and other organisations in Australia and help bridge any knowledge gaps regarding APRA AMCOS, copyright, licensing, and other areas of the music industry.
As well as improving processes and project-manage areas of development, other day to day tasks include ensuring our clients’ song and agreement details are correctly registered at performing rights organisations in Australia and New Zealand, as well as answering general queries regarding the catalogue we represent.
To be successful in the role, you need to be a proactive self-starter with a track-record of working successfully within an international team communicating comfortably internally and externally across a wide variety of teams and with senior colleagues and other parties across the business. A background or deep knowledge and understanding of music copyright, publishing and/or collection societies is essential to hit the ground running.
WHAT DOES AN ASSISTANT COPYRIGHT MANAGER DO AT KOBALT?
- Assist the team administering Kobalt’s catalogue in Australia and New Zealand and act as Kobalt’s liaison between the UK-based Copyright team and our contacts in Australia
- Build fruitful relationships with APRA AMCOS and other Australian-based music publishers and seek opportunities to bridge any knowledge gaps amongst the UK team, regarding all relevant areas of the music industry in Australia
- Provide support for handling work/agreement registrations, queries and disputes with APRA AMCOS and other publishers in a timely manner to avoid delays in royalty payments (this involves overseeing the processes where Kobalt acquires new rights to catalogues)
- Bring attention to high priority and urgent items with relevant stakeholders in an effective manner, and proactively put together plans of action until resolutions are reached
- Seek opportunities to improve our processes, collaborate with colleagues to implement new processes, and project-manage areas of development from concept to completion
- Above list is not exhaustive and there may be ad-hoc projects from the Managing Director of Kobalt Music Group APAC and any other senior colleagues
WHAT SKILLS & EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Previous admin and copyright experience in a similar role as well as a good understanding of music publishing is advantageous but most importantly, you have database management experience and an ability to manipulate and analyse data (especially numerical data)
- Excellent communication skills: the duties require a very high level of communication internally and externally; we are looking for someone who can adapt communication to audience and acts with a sense of urgency to all matters
- Basic Excel skills are preferred but not essential
- Tech savvy as well as a fast & pro-active learner with ability to pick up new software quickly - proficient user of Microsoft and Google programs, such as Excel, Sheets and Gmail
- Track record of excellent organization and prioritisation skills with experience in short-term and long-term project management
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy and a detail-driven mind-set and as well as highly numerate
Why choose us?
At Kobalt we’ve prioritized creators since we first started in 2000. Our music services and the technology we’ve built helps make the industry more fair and rewarding for artists. We’re trusted by some of the world’s biggest names like Childish Gambino, Akon, Freya Ridings, Paul McCartney and The Red Hot Chili Peppers and represent more than 40% of the top 100 songs and albums in the U.S. and U.K.
We thrive on creativity and are committed to championing diversity. We’re dedicated to inclusiveness and provide all the resources and benefits you need to grow your career and reach your potential. We offer competitive compensation packages, professional development opportunities, and an entrepreneurial culture that makes working here not just fun, but also rewarding.
What members of the team say:
"Kobalt Music Publishing was first established in 2010 in Australia to provide publishing services to Kobalt's international clients as well as providing Australia and New Zealand artists, songwriters and rights owners a pathway to global success. This year, in Kobalt's 10th year of operations, our local roster has had greater success globally than ever before. This success is underpinned by the company's core values of fair remuneration and transparency, and driven by Kobalt's unique mix of creative music services and technology, delivered with a globally integrated approach." - Simon Moor, Managing Director APAC
"Kobalt’s simple ambition has always been clear to me, and has never faltered: to fairly reward music’s creators. When you join Kobalt, you are actively involved in a journey to fulfil Kobalt’s ambition. You overcome the challenges the nature of the music industry brings, and share experiences with other passionate people. Your environment allows you to strive for your own personal, as well as common goals. No matter what your role is, or how long you’ve been with us, your contributions are valued as part of the Kobalt family." - Christina Avila, Copyright Manager
"Since I have worked at Kobalt I have learnt so much, through the training and the responsibility I have been given which has led me to discover and put it into practise what I enjoy professionally, giving me a wide breadth of skills and experience in a short time in a way which I think is unique to Kobalt. I work every day with fantastic colleagues for a company whose values I genuinely align with." - Dominic McDonald, Copyright Assistant