We are hiring an Accounting Manager in New York. The Manager will report directly to the Director of Accounting and will be responsible for the accounting duties associated with the music publishing arm of the business. Additionally, the Manager will partner with the business to oversee financial aspects of the publishing department’s operations. The Kobalt global Finance team sits across New York and London and is responsible for both accounting and financial planning & analysis.
Kobalt is a music and technology company built for artists, songwriters, publishers and labels as an alternative to the traditional music business model. Kobalt’s commitment to technology, transparency, and creators’ rights has driven tremendous growth year-over-year for the company and its clients.
Today, Kobalt’s Music Publishing, Neighbouring Rights, and Recordings/AWAL divisions serve over 25,000 songwriters, 600 publishers, and 20,000 independent artists, including Childish Gambino, Dave Grohl, Enrique Iglesias, Lauv, Lorde, Zayn Malik, Bob Marley, Marshmello, Max Martin, Paul McCartney, Elvis Presley, The Weeknd, and many more. Kobalt represents on average over 40% of the top 100 songs and albums in both the US and UK.
Kobalt’s global technology platform uniquely tracks and collects royalties for the trillions of micro-payments in digital music today. Kobalt offers its clients a variety of services, including creative services, synch & brand partnerships, global licensing management, neighboring rights, works and rights distribution, royalty collection and processing, the Kobalt and AWAL Portals and Apps, YouTube monetization, record release management, digital distribution and marketing.
We’re currently 640 people based across 13 offices and we’re still growing!
WHAT DOES AN ACCOUNTING FINANCE MANAGER AT KOBALT DO?
- Serve as the Accounting contact for the Recordings business unit
- Prepare all reports and financials for Kobalt’s Recordings business
- Compile and prepare the monthly recordings revenue pack for the CFO
- Prepare month end close for accounts, including variance analysis, revenue journals, and balance sheet reconciliations
- Compile KPIs for quarterly business unit reporting
- Participate in year-end close, including feedback to auditors and final presentation of numbers
- Partner with the A/R and A/P team as it relates to vendor payments and purchase orders
- Assist with input to tax returns & regulatory filings
- Ad-hoc finance projects as needed
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration is required
- CPA is highly preferred
- Exceptional Excel skills
- 5+ years’ experience in an accounting role within a growing company
- Previous music, media, entertainment, and/or creative industry experience is ideal
- Strong interpersonal skills – including the ability to work with and challenge others
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Previous experience working in NetSuite is highly preferred
Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.