We are hiring a Director, Synch & Brand Partnerships in New York to join our global synch team. The Director will be responsible for proactively and creatively pitching Kobalt's roster for synch opportunities in Film, TV, Trailers, and Advertisements that are based on the eastern portion of the US. This individual will also be responsible for securing and negotiating synch licenses. The role is based in New York and report to the SVP, Commercial Synch & Brand Partnerships.
Founded in 2000 by Willard Ahdritz, Kobalt is creating the music company of the future. Kobalt is a global music and technology company built for artists, songwriters, publishers and labels as an alternative to the traditional music business model. Kobalt have built the technology infrastructure to enable better reporting and for artists to maintain ownership and control over how their work is distributed, tracked, collected, and monetized. This global technology platform can track and collect royalties for the billions of micro-payments per song in digital music today.
This is an established yet fast growing creator-centric company of artists and songwriters including The Chainsmokers, Kelly Clarkson, Miles Davis, Dave Grohl, Lauv, Zayn Malik, Max Martin, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Paul McCartney, Stevie Nicks, Pitbull, Elvis Presley, Skrillex, Sam Smith, and many more. Kobalt represents on average over 40% of the top 100 songs and albums in both the US and UK.
We’re currently 640 people based across 13 offices and we’re still growing!
WHAT DOES A DIRECTOR OF SYNCH AT KOBALT DO?
- Facilitate, negotiate, and close all levels of film, television and advertising-related licensing deals for the Kobalt roster of publishing and label clients
- Proactively solicit and pitch Kobalt-administered compositions and AWAL recordings to advertising agencies, brands, music supervisors, music editors, producers
- Procure and implement strategic partnerships for Kobalt clients with brands, television networks, production companies, etc.
- Create and maintain a contact database of the key music decision makers and partners at advertising agencies, brands, Film & TV production companies, television networks, etc.
- Implement and execute an effective synch strategy to achieve quarterly and yearly fiscal targets set by your supervisor(s)
- Work closely with the team to Implement and manage a creative synch strategy for that align with release marketing plans as well as for catalog clients
- Be available to travel to key markets to meet and maintain relationships with key music decision makers
- Proactively reach out to Kobalt’s writers/artists to maintain and foster good client relations as well as keep them up to date on the current synch and brand landscape
- Provide contact base with creative music pitches upon request and respond to licensing requests in a timely manner (within 24 hours)
- Manage licensing deals and pitches in Kobalt’s internal database
- Attend Kobalt meetings as needed as a representative of the synch team
- Update internal executives, artist/writer representatives on current licensing deals
- Stay abreast of new music from writer/artist signings
- Organize meetings for writers/artists upon request
- Organize, manage and implement showcases for artists who are “in cycle”
- Attend Kobalt artist/writer live shows, events, showcases regularly
- Be available to attend key events, conferences as deemed necessary by your supervisor(s)
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- 5+ years’ experience in synch and/or brand partnerships within the music industry
- An entrepreneurial spirit, with an ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Must possess excellent organization, communication and selling skills
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Must have very strong customer relations, demonstration and presentation skills
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Must have a passion for and deep knowledge of music
Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.