The Sr. Director, Synch Clearance will be responsible for negotiating and successfully closing all forms of synchronization licenses originating out of North America, primarily Film, Television, Trailers and Advertising. The position will oversee members of the clearance team and play an integral role in driving synch revenue for Kobalt/AWAL and their respective clients. The role will be based in Los Angeles and report to the Vice President, Synch Clearance and Licensing Administration.
Founded in 2000 by Willard Ahdritz, Kobalt is creating the music company of the future. Kobalt is a global music and technology company built for artists, songwriters, publishers and labels as an alternative to the traditional music business model. Kobalt have built the technology infrastructure to enable better reporting and for artists to maintain ownership and control over how their work is distributed, tracked, collected, and monetized. This global technology platform can track and collect royalties for the billions of micro-payments per song in digital music today.
This is an established yet fast growing creator-centric company of artists and songwriters including The Chainsmokers, Kelly Clarkson, Miles Davis, Dave Grohl, Lauv, Zayn Malik, Max Martin, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Paul McCartney, Stevie Nicks, Pitbull, Elvis Presley, Skrillex, Sam Smith, and many more. Kobalt represents on average over 40% of the top 100 songs and albums in both the US and UK.
We’re currently 640 people based across 13 offices and we’re still growing!
WHAT DOES A SR. DIRECTOR, SYNCH CLEARANCE DO?
- Facilitate, negotiate, quote on, and close various forms of synch licensing requests (publishing and master) with major film and television studios, as well as top music supervisors.
- Liaise and effectively communicate with Kobalt clients to ensure fair and equitable terms for synch and music licensing requests.
- Coordinate with and support marketing efforts of Kobalt’s creative synch team, working to find a balance between licensing fees/terms and marketing opportunities.
- Process high volume of music clearances in a timely manner.
- Oversee and manage up to four (subject to change) members of the synch clearance team.
- Help to establish and implement effective synch clearance strategy across the team in order to achieve quarterly and yearly fiscal targets set by your supervisor(s).
- Provide guidance to the junior team to ensure Kobalt is achieving the best financial results and maximizing opportunities for each synch license.
- Establish processes and procedures to improve the synch clearance workflow and ensure the distribution of clients across clearance team is reasonable and manageable.
- Develop a deep knowledge of market value for Kobalt’s represented recordings and compositions, including an expert understanding of synch fee ranges across all media areas.
- Work with synch administration to log, maintain, and manage synch licensing deals in Kobalt’s internal database.
- Develop an expertise in Kobalt’s internal rights management system and database.
- Stay abreast of, maintain, and further relationships with key personnel at clearance companies/houses/studios within the industry.
- Be available to attend key internal and/or external meetings as deemed necessary by your supervisor(s).
- Attend Kobalt meetings as a representative of the synch team as needed.
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field
- 5-7 years' of experience in music clearance and licensing, preferably at a label, publisher or music licensing company
- Must be highly organized, detailed oriented and have a strong ability to multi-task
- Must possess excellent organization, written and oral communication skills
- Must have very strong customer relations skills
- May need to be available outside of works hours to respond to potential licensees
- Must have expert knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Must have a passion for music and be a team player!
Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.