Job Title: Site Reliability Engineer
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Employer: Kobalt Music Group Limited
Posted: 29 July 2019
Closing date: 28 August 2019
Kobalt is one of the world’s largest, most innovative music companies, using technology to power creative freedom, transparency, ownership and control for artists, songwriters, publishers, and labels.
Founded in 2000 by Swedish entrepreneur Willard Adhitz, the startup built a platform to maximize efficiency, accuracy, and transparency across the billions of micro-payments collected in today’s highly complex digital world. As the traditional music companies fought technology and contracted, Kobalt embraced it and grew, building an infrastructure and world-class creative team purposely designed to usher in the streaming era, along with a more fair, rewarding music business for creators.
With over 650 employees in 12 offices around the world, Kobalt today represents over 20,000 artists and songwriters, 600,000 songs and 600 publishing companies. Kobalt is proud to work with artists, songwriters, and companies like Childish Gambino, Max Martin, Paul McCartney and MPL Communications, Disney Music Group, and many more.
As Kobalt continues to scale we are looking for Site Reliability Engineers at varying levels of experience to join our team. We are responsible for creating and maintaining scalable, reliable and secure platforms that our distributed applications run on. You will enable other developers to be better at their roles by developing shared applications, platforms and tools which they can use.
You’ll bring your existing skills, and also learn new ones, as we continuously strive for improvement.
You will be interested in shaping Kobalt’s web architecture strategy, as well as finding more agile and productive ways of working through industry-standard DevOps practices. You will bring many existing skills to the table, but also will be prepared to explore, innovate and learn new skills
WHAT DOES A SITE RELIABILITY ENGINEER AT KOBALT DO?
• Optimises systems for performance and scalability, building infrastructure and eliminating work through automation
• Focuses on automation, from our deployment pipelines to the creation of our cloud infrastructure
• Enables visibility with telemetry, logging, monitoring and alerting solutions
• Maintains existing systems in development, test and production environments, as well as developing new systems to support our business applications
• Works in a data driven environment to set, monitor and meet ambitious quality of service goals
• Problem solves - able to work on a variety of problems and pick up new skills
• Shares knowledge with other team members - from informal chats to mentoring others
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
• Your skills should be complemented with an ability to problem solve, learn and collaborate.
• Previous relevant experience in designing production systems to be scalable, fault-tolerant and secure
• Previous relevant experience setting up, managing and maintaining our services, infrastructure and applications hosted on AWS
• Build and continuous integration tools: Previous relevant experience creating and maintaining build and deployment pipelines in AWS Elastic Container Services or similar
• Experience using 2 or more of the following languages: PHP, Java, Python, NodeJS, Go
• A software engineering mindset with appreciation for systems design
• Experience with containerised applications and container orchestration
• Knowledge of networking, load balancing and routing
• Experience setting up monitoring and alerting systems including ELK stack, Fluentd, Datadog
• Ability to keep up-to-date and continually learn
• Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• AWS Certified Solutions Architect is an advantage
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• A proven team worker
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom. Verification checks will be conducted during the interview process and a full DBS check on acceptance of offer. Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.