Kobalt is one of the world’s largest, most innovative music companies, using technology to power creative freedom, transparency, ownership and control for artists, songwriters, publishers, and labels.
Founded in 2000 by Swedish entrepreneur Willard Adhitz, the startup built a platform to maximize efficiency, accuracy, and transparency across the billions of micro-payments collected in today’s highly complex digital world. As the traditional music companies fought technology and contracted, Kobalt embraced it and grew, building an infrastructure and world-class creative team purposely designed to usher in the streaming era, along with a more fair, rewarding music business for creators.
With over 650 employees in 12 offices around the world, Kobalt today represents over 20,000 artists and songwriters, 600,000 songs and 600 publishing companies. Kobalt is proud to work with artists, songwriters, and companies like Childish Gambino, Max Martin, Paul McCartney and MPL Communications, Disney Music Group, and many more.
Having undergone difficult times in the late 90s due to piracy, the music industry resurged due to streaming and curated online services and is now on a path of explosive growth as music becomes more ubiquitous than ever and distributed all over the world. Furthermore, data is today generated and collected at an unprecedented rate, through social media, marketing and other digital platforms.
As leaders in music technology, we are riding a rapid growth wave and scaling our systems and products to cope with current and future demand, while also building new innovative products that not only enable better decision making, increased efficiency but also help maximise revenue for creators.
We are looking for a senior PHP Developer to work on a variety of new and existing projects within the web team, including a staged migration of our web portal to a new platform, along with strategic improvements to improve performance and remove friction points for end users. We would expect this role to contribute improvements and new features that make a real difference from an early stage.
As a developer at Kobalt you’ll be involved in the whole development lifecycle: requirement gathering, specification, development, building, testing and deployment and writing fast, reliable and clean code on a daily basis. Our new developers are always mentored by an existing and more experienced member of the team but as a senior you will also lead and inspire others.
You will join a growing team of passionate software developers working on our award winning client facing portal in a friendly environment. The portal is a very powerful tool for our clients to interact with their account, including a global real time activity feed and full unparalleled access to detailed historical data reporting. These industry unique features and the transparency of information we provide in the portal were the driving force behind the “Innovation in Publishing" award we collected at the MusicAlly awards in 2014. As part of keeping the portal at the cutting edge, we are developing several new capabilities. You will be a driving force behind some of the new techniques we wish to use.
WHAT DOES A PHP SOFTWARE ENGINEER AT KOBALT DO?
- Devise and develop technical solutions to support the build of our award-winning portal
- Contribute to the whole development lifecycle: requirement gathering, specification, development, building, testing and deployment
- Writing fast, reliable and clean code
- Support Automation testing – TDD and BDD
- Work to agile and support all efficiency improvement initiatives
- Mentor and upskill current PHP engineers through pair programming and code reviews
- Understand system dependencies and work collaboratively with all technology teams to overcome issues
- Participate in recruitment of engineers into the team
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Good knowledge of development using PHP
- Good understanding of design patterns and OOP concepts
- Good knowledge of at least one MVC framework, ideally Laravel or Symfony
- Good knowledge of building and extending REST APIs returning data in JSON
- Good knowledge of SQL database design Good knowledge of unit testing
- Able to mentor junior and mid-level developers - Knowledge of source control with Git, especially branching/merging as needed
- Familiar with Atlassian products – we use Bitbucket, JIRA, Bamboo, and Confluence
- Comfortable with logging into AWS instances, monitoring processes and troubleshooting issues - Experience of writing automated acceptance tests with Behat
- Familiarity with agile techniques
- Good understanding of server-side template engines such as Twig / Blade Experience using third-party API's
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom. Verification checks will be conducted during the interview process and a full DBS check on acceptance of offer. Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.