Kobalt was founded in 2000 with a mission: Make the music industry fairer and rewarding for creators.
We wanted to give creators, our artists, songwriters, musicians, labels and publishers, the freedom and transparency they needed to build their careers.
Today, Kobalt does exactly that. Our music technology services including Publishing, Recordings, Synchronization and the world’s first Global Digital Collection Society are trusted by some of the world’s greatest artists, and we represent more than 40% of the top 100 songs and albums in the U.S. and U.K. And it’s not just the big names we help. Our open platform allows new and upcoming artists and writers all over the world to get access to invaluable insights that help boost their musical careers.
Having undergone difficult times in the late 90s due to piracy, the music industry resurged due to streaming and curated online services and is now on a path of explosive growth as music becomes more ubiquitous than ever and distributed all over the world. Furthermore, data is today generated and collected at an unprecedented rate, through social media, marketing and other digital platforms.
As leaders in music technology, we are riding a rapid growth wave and scaling our systems and products to cope with current and future demand, while also building new innovative products that not only enable better decision making, increased efficiency but also help maximise revenue for creators.
As a Senior Engineering Manager at Kobalt Music, you will help shape the organisation and have real impact on the future of music.
You will support in building diverse, cross-functional, highly efficient and highly-skilled engineering teams aligned to the AWAL business unit. You will be passionate about empowering people and creating autonomous teams. As you build teams around you, you’ll care deeply about the careers of the engineers you manage and support them on their learning journey and in meeting their full potential.
You will also not lose track of technology and get involved hands-on regularly and ensure engineering excellence in all we do. You will be pragmatic about technologies, have a natural curiosity and will be a keen contributor to open source projects – if it already exists, use it.
Finally, you’ll demonstrate great drive in continuing to build an inclusive culture and in having a strong focus on our helping our customers succeed.
.WHAT YOU WILL BRING TO US
- In-depth knowledge of business needs and ability to translate into viable technical solutions
- Experience leading engineering teams at scale and in particular are experienced in defining technology roadmaps and giving direction on business strategy
- Care about people development and management, and build effective teams that are focused on delivering great products & technology
- You will be a problem solver with the ability to come up with creative solutions.
- Technology knowledge, specifically in service-oriented architecture, microservices and developing and operating highly scalable data centric services and web applications
- Experience of implementing best practices, agile methodologies, continuous delivery and experimentation
WHAT YOU WILL GET IN RETURN
- The autonomy to have tremendous impact in shaping the strategy and the future of a global, leading multi-rights platform, handling billions of transactions.
- The opportunity to work alongside incredibly creative people across the entire business, and to have an impact on the lives of creators all over the world
- The freedom to work on projects outside your immediate area of focus
- The chance to mentor and develop others eager to learn, making use of your extensive experience and deep domain knowledge
- An environment where learning and development is encouraged and expected, with access to Udemy, BookBoon and more
- Regular Tech Meetups hosted in the office on a range of topics from Scala to Agile Leadership
- Wellbeing - we care about your physical and mental health and offer you subsidised gym memberships, a cycle to work scheme, sports clubs, office yoga and (almost) daily meditation classes
- A great office with everything you need to do your job and enjoy your place of work including fresh fruit and cereal, fantastic open space on our roof and shower facilities
- Our infamous Kobalt Socials including quarterly-company wide rooftop parties and regular team socials, beers/wine/soft drinks on a Friday and the odd famous person doing a gig in our kitchen
- A great salary in addition to a generous pension scheme (up to 5% matched)
- Peace of mind - we offer comprehensive health cover
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom. Verification checks will be conducted during the interview process and a full DBS check on acceptance of offer. Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.