Kobalt is one of the world’s largest, most innovative music companies, using technology to power creative freedom, transparency, ownership and control for artists, songwriters, publishers, and labels.
Founded in 2000 by Swedish entrepreneur Willard Adhitz, the startup built a platform to maximize efficiency, accuracy, and transparency across the billions of micro-payments collected in today’s highly complex digital world. As the traditional music companies fought technology and contracted, Kobalt embraced it and grew, building an infrastructure and world-class creative team purposely designed to usher in the streaming era, along with a more fair, rewarding music business for creators.
With over 650 employees in 12 offices around the world, Kobalt today represents over 20,000 artists and songwriters, 600,000 songs and 600 publishing companies. Kobalt is proud to work with artists, songwriters, and companies like Childish Gambino, Max Martin, Paul McCartney and MPL Communications, Disney Music Group, and many more.
Having undergone difficult times in the late 90s due to piracy, the music industry resurged due to streaming and curated online services and is now on a path of explosive growth as music becomes more ubiquitous than ever and distributed all over the world. Furthermore, data is today generated and collected at an unprecedented rate, through social media, marketing and other digital platforms.
As leaders in music technology, we are riding a rapid growth wave and scaling our systems and products to cope with current and future demand, while also building new innovative products that not only enable better decision making, increased efficiency but also help maximise revenue for creators.
WHAT IS IT LIKE TO BE AN ENGINEER AT KOBALT
As an Engineer at Kobalt, you will form part of our Ktech population and be enthusiastic and forthcoming with new ideas. You will work on a specific project, critical to Kobalt needs with opportunities to fully collaborate with teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve.
We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward. We’re looking for smart generalists who can work with the right tool for the job. This is a unique opportunity to be hands on with both the product and the technology whilst helping to shape the future of music for creators.
- independently translate small to moderate feature requirements into production quality code
- proficient in programming languages and technologies used within project team and code base maintained by project team
- deliver tested production level code in a timely manner for small to moderate features within a team
- able to provide guidance on coding and testing standards to peers and associates
- able to work independently small to moderate features within a team
- positively contributes to the success of projects/products
- able to collaborate and foster collaborative working with a multidisciplinary team
- be creative and experiment with new solutions but pragmatic and committed to code optimisation and validation
- empower and mentor more junior team members to improve their craft, deliver high quality products, and develop themselves as high performing engineers.
- help standardise and continuously improve our software engineering practices, processes, and tools.
- customer first mindset and obsessed about building and maintaining trust with both internal and external customers
- value and be a culture ambassador for Kobalt
- play an active role in promoting Kobalt’s brand by attending and being involved in events and networking
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE...
- Strong knowledge of technical domain
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related relevant discipline (or equivalent)
- technical knowledge, specifically in service-oriented architecture and developing and operating highly scalable data centric services and web applications
- experience of best practices, agile methodologies, continuous delivery and experimentation
- ability to work in a data driven environment
- ability to share expertise and promote diversity while navigating a complex organisation
- you have expertise in multiple development languages, and are interested in learning more
- understanding of scalability, and implementation constraints; and
- comfortable working with multiple stakeholders from different parts of the organisation.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom. Verification checks will be conducted during the interview process and a full DBS check on acceptance of offer. Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.