Kobalt is one of the world’s largest, most innovative music companies, using technology to power creative freedom, transparency, ownership and control for artists, songwriters, publishers, and labels.
Founded in 2000 by Swedish entrepreneur Willard Adhitz, the startup built a platform to maximize efficiency, accuracy, and transparency across the billions of micro-payments collected in today’s highly complex digital world. As the traditional music companies fought technology and contracted, Kobalt embraced it and grew, building an infrastructure and world-class creative team purposely designed to usher in the streaming era, along with a more fair, rewarding music business for creators.
With over 650 employees in 12 offices around the world, Kobalt today represents over 20,000 artists and songwriters, 600,000 songs and 600 publishing companies. Kobalt is proud to work with artists, songwriters, and companies like Childish Gambino, Max Martin, Paul McCartney and MPL Communications, Disney Music Group, and many more.
At Kobalt, our Staff Engineers are change agents, using their passion to proactively and decisively helping improve our processes, practices, infrastructure, architecture and services.
They’re experts with deep technical knowledge and extraordinary problem solving skills, which they use to influence and support the business in decision making and in coming up with innovative solutions to new problems. They’re mentors and inspirational figures to engineers that thrive on learning and development. They use their clear vision and industry knowledge to contribute to Technology and Product roadmaps.
They do all of this and somehow still manage to have great impact as individual contributors of code, frameworks and tools.
- Lead technical design and implementation for multiple small to medium sized projects
- Complete autonomy within product
- Influence and foster collaborative working with a multi-disciplinary team
- Be creative and experiment with new solutions but pragmatic and committed to code optimisation and validation
- Help define our development environment, and communicate the best development practices within the organisation (i.e. code reviews, testing, etc)
- Work closely with other teams (stakeholders, Product and UX) to drive product development
- Contribute to technical architecture decisions
- You will focus on building & leading a high performing technical capability for your area, both hiring, growing & retaining great people and instilling great ways of working
- You’ll be accountable for day-to-day operational excellence, including dealing with incidents & outages and making sure teams are able to be reactive as well as proactive when incidents arise.
- Lead on project planning, design and implementation by creating sustainable deliverables with measurable results
- You will create understanding for the engineering teams around strategy and overall vision
- You will lead on critical problems and technologies across one or multiple business units
- Building and leading across team and organisation collaboration
- Empower and mentor team members to improve their craft, deliver high quality products, and develop themselves as high performing engineers.
- Contribute to the technical vision of your area; identify and manage risks, dependencies, and opportunities.
- Help standardise and continuously improve our software engineering practices, processes, and tools.
- Customer first mindset and obsessed about building and maintaining trust with both internal and external customers
- Value and be a culture ambassador for Kobalt
- Play an active role in promoting Kobalt’s brand by attending and being involved in events and networking
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE
- Experience working in a technology lead organisation at a senior individual contributor level
- Technical knowledge, specifically in service-oriented architecture and developing and operating highly scalable data centric services and web applications
- High comfort level working with multiple stakeholders from different parts of the organisation
- Working with product and design teams to design and develop, scalable, reusable and reliable software applications
- Experience with SQL / PL/SQL
- Experience with AWS, Google Cloud, or any proprietary clouds - Docker skills preferred
- Experience with big data technologies and with microservices architecture
- Computer science and engineering fundamentals gained at degree level or above
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Opening Date - 6th June 2019
Closing Date 4th July 2019
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom. Verification checks will be conducted during the interview process and a full DBS check on acceptance of offer. Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.