Kobalt was founded in 2000 with a mission: Make the music industry fairer and rewarding for creators.
We wanted to give artists, songwriters, musicians, labels and publishers the freedom and transparency they needed to build their careers.
Today, Kobalt does exactly that. Our music technology driven music services including Publishing, Recordings and the world’s first Digital Collection Society are trusted by some of the world’s greatest artists, and we represent more than 40% of the top 100 songs and albums in the U.S. and U.K]
Kobalt Music is looking to hire its next Director of Engineering to work alongside a peer group of senior technologists and business leaders on a mission to change the way that musicians and artists are represented in the music industry.
Working closely with the head of Engineering Platform and Services, you will support in building diverse, highly efficient and highly-skilled Devops and SRE engineering teams supporting Kobalt’s technical business units. You will be passionate about empowering people and supporting teams and individuals in meeting their full potential. You will be pragmatic about technologies, have a natural curiosity and will be a keen user and even contributor to open source projects – if it already exists, use it.
This is a unique opportunity to be hands on with both the teams and the technology whilst helping to shape the core structure of a rapidly scaling organisation and have real impact on the future of music.
- You’ll support with defining the strategy for the platform teams, who provide Devops and SRE support for the business. You will also be a key part of the Engineering Platform and Services management team.
- You will be help to articulate and deliver a technical roadmap that meets current needs but supports us to scale & grow for the future
- You will support on building & leading a high performing engineering capability for your area, both hiring, growing & retaining great people and instilling great ways of working
- You’ll be responsible for day-to-day operational excellence, including dealing with incidents & outages and making sure teams are able to be reactive as well as proactive when incidents arise.
- You will create understanding for the engineering teams around strategy and overall vision
- You’ll be responsible for ensuring business needs and technical needs are met, in particular balancing when to accept and when to address technical debt
- You may play a personal leadership role on some major initiatives which need driving across multiple business units
- You’ll be proactive in exploring and implementing new technologies and ways of working to ensure we’re staying current and innovating
- You will work closely and collaborate with the business unit aligned development teams
- Ability to share expertise and promote diversity while navigating a complex organisation
- Facilitate teams and functional alignment to improve workflow and collaboration
- Think strategically (prioritising, aligning teams and functioning goals) to wider organisational strategy
- You will be an inspiring leader with a strong sense of influence both with your team, peers and stakeholders
- Value and be a culture ambassador for Kobalt
- Play an active role in promoting Kobalt’s brand by attending and being involved in events and networking
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- You have experience leading teams of platform engineers with a Devops\SRE mindset
- You will have experience of implementing monitoring solutions, defining and implementing robust CI\CD pipelines
- You are experienced in defining technology roadmaps and giving direction on engineering strategy
- You are comfortable managing teams of engineers directly and also having team leads report directly to you
- You care about people development and management, and build effective teams that are focused on delivering great products & technology
- You will be a problem solver with the ability to come up with creative solutions
- Technology knowledge, specifically in service-oriented architecture and developing and operating highly scalable data centric services and web applications
- Experience of implementing best practices, agile methodologies, continuous delivery and experimentation
WHAT YOU WILL GET IN RETURN
- A great salary in addition to a generous pension scheme (up to 5% matched)
- Peace of mind - we offer comprehensive health cover extendable to your family and in the event that you are unable to work we will continue to pay up to 75% of your salary
- A dedicated learning and development team for Tech, Udemy, BookBoon and more
- Regular Tech Meetups hosted in the office on a range of topics from Scala to Agile Leadership
- Wellbeing - we care about your physical and mental health and offer you subsidised gym memberships, a cycle to work scheme, sports clubs, office yoga, (almost) daily meditation classes and free mental health coaching via Sanctus
- A great office with everything you need to do your job and enjoy your place of work including free healthy (and unhealthy) snacks, fresh fruit and cereal, fantastic open space on our roof and shower facilities
- Our infamous Kobalt Socials including quarterly-company wide rooftop parties and regular team socials, beers/wine/soft drinks on a Friday and the odd famous person doing a gig in our kitchen
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom. Verification checks will be conducted during the interview process and a full DBS check on acceptance of offer. Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.