Kobalt is one of the world’s largest, most innovative music companies, using technology to power creative freedom, transparency, ownership and control for artists, songwriters, publishers, and labels.
Founded in 2000 by Swedish entrepreneur Willard Adhitz, the startup built a platform to maximize efficiency, accuracy, and transparency across the billions of micro-payments collected in today’s highly complex digital world. As the traditional music companies fought technology and contracted, Kobalt embraced it and grew, building an infrastructure and world-class creative team purposely designed to usher in the streaming era, along with a more fair, rewarding music business for creators.
With over 650 employees in 12 offices around the world, Kobalt today represents over 20,000 artists and songwriters, 600,000 songs and 600 publishing companies. Kobalt is proud to work with artists, songwriters, and companies like Childish Gambino, Max Martin, Paul McCartney and MPL Communications, Disney Music Group, and many more.
Having undergone difficult times in the late 90s due to piracy, the music industry resurged due to streaming and curated online services and is now on a path of explosive growth as music becomes more ubiquitous than ever and distributed all over the world. Furthermore, data is today generated and collected at an unprecedented rate, through social media, marketing and other digital platforms.
As leaders in music technology, we are riding a rapid growth wave and scaling our systems and products to cope with current and future demand, while also building new innovative products that not only enable better decision making, increased efficiency but also help maximise revenue for creators.
WHAT IS IT LIKE TO BE AN ENGINEER AT KOBALT
We are passionate about our teams and hiring great talent. We are looking for engaged and sharp Engineers at all levels to support us with our growth ambitious.
As an engineer at Kobalt you’ll be involved in the whole development life cycle starting with planning and road mapping sessions with the product team, writing clean, scalable and fully tested code.
Our new developers are always mentored by an existing and more experienced member of the team and have access to an extensive range of learning materials ranging from a free Udemy account to access to a library of online e-books and audiobooks.
As a technology company we are also committed to sharing our knowledge and experiences with the wider technology community through monthly technology and diversity focussed events.
HOW DOES THIS ROLE CONTRIBUTE TO KOBALT?
Our 100 strong engineering team is split into 4 main areas aligning to our core business units - publishing, recordings, digital collections and synch. Each of these areas is split further into smaller product or feature lead teams.
Our engineering teams find creative solutions to solve complex problems that help us provide most innovative ways for creators to distribute their work, collect their royalties, keep track of their streaming data and sync their music to TV, film and advertising opportunities that exists in the music world today.
As a Senior Engineer at Kobalt you will be responsible for working on technology problems ranging from the large scale transformation of a monolith application that processes billions of royalty payments monthly, into scalable, language agnostic services, to using predictive analysis to build recommendation engines that help our Synch team find music to fit briefs from advertising agencies from a catalogue of millions of songs.
Language is not the most important thing to us when we look for Engineers. What is important is that our engineers are curious, adaptable, dependable, always want to learn more, and are able to write clean, tested and reliable code. To begin with, you will likely be coding in Java so some experience of Java or a similar object oriented language will be advantageous.
We follow best practices, test our own code and deploy our own work with the help of our operations team.
This is a unique opportunity to be hands on with both the product and the technology whilst helping to shape the future of music for creators.
IDEALLY YOU WILL...
- Have a Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science or a related field or equivalent working experience
- Be comfortable in multiple development languages (static and dynamic) including Java, and interested in learning more
- Have a good understanding of systems design, algorithms, and data structures
- Experience with AWS, Google Cloud, or any proprietary clouds
- Experience with big data technologies (e.g. Hadoop) and with microservices architecture
- Demonstrate a devops-centric approach for delivering high quality and reliable service development, with a test driven approach for delivering clean, tested and reliable code
- Have experience of transferring knowledge and mentoring graduates and more junior team members
WHAT YOU WILL GET IN RETURN
- A great salary in addition to a generous pension scheme (up to 5% matched)
- Peace of mind - we offer comprehensive health cover
- A dedicated learning and development team for Tech, Udemy, BookBoon and more
- Regular Tech Meetups hosted in the office on a range of topics from Scala to Agile Leadership
- Wellbeing - we care about your physical and mental health and offer you subsidised gym memberships, a cycle to work scheme, sports clubs, office yoga, and (almost) daily meditation classes
- A great office with everything you need to do your job and enjoy your place of work including fresh fruit and cereal, fantastic open space on our roof and shower facilities
- Our infamous Kobalt Socials including quarterly-company wide rooftop parties and regular team socials, beers/wine/soft drinks on a Friday and the odd famous person doing a gig in our kitchen
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom. Verification checks will be conducted during the interview process and a full DBS check on acceptance of offer. Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.