Kobalt was founded in 2000 with a mission: Make the music industry fairer and rewarding for creators.
We wanted to give creators, our artists, songwriters, musicians, labels and publishers, the freedom and transparency they needed to build their careers.
Today, Kobalt does exactly that. Our music technology services including Publishing, Recordings, Synchronization and the world’s first Global Digital Collection Society are trusted by some of the world’s greatest artists, and we represent more than 40% of the top 100 songs and albums in the U.S. and U.K. And it’s not just the big names we help. Our open platform allows new and upcoming artists and writers all over the world to get access to invaluable insights that help boost their musical careers.
Having undergone difficult times in the late 90s due to piracy, the music industry resurged due to streaming and curated online services and is now on a path of explosive growth as music becomes more ubiquitous than ever and distributed all over the world. Furthermore, data is today generated and collected at an unprecedented rate, through social media, marketing and other digital platforms.
As leaders in music technology, we are riding a rapid growth wave and scaling our systems and products to cope with current and future demand, while also building new innovative products that not only enable better decision making, increased efficiency but also help maximise revenue for creators.
As a Senior Manager at Kobalt Music, you will alongside a peer group of senior technologists and business leaders on a mission to change the way that musicians and artists are represented in the music industry. Working closely with the Director of Engineering, you will support in building a diverse, highly efficient and highly-skilled Oracle development team aligned to Kobalt’s core business units. You will be passionate about empowering people and supporting teams and individuals in meeting their full potential. You will be pragmatic about technical solutions, and have a natural curiosity. This is a unique opportunity to be hands on with both the teams and the technology whilst helping to shape the core structure of a rapidly scaling organisation and have real impact on the future of music.
WHAT WILL YOU HAVE...
- Experience in independently leading a team
- Extensive experience of Oracle database development including PL\SQL. An ability to guide not just own team’s work, but act as a consultant to all teams that develop using Oracle. You may no longer be hands-on but will be able to provide technical guidance and review
- Strong ability to engage with other technical teams that provide support to business-facing development teams, understanding the needs of business
- Experience implementing database best-practice including database source control and change management
AND IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THIS, IT’S A BONUS...
- Understanding of Oracle options such as Data Compression, Advanced Security
- Experience using Oracle Exadata
- Knowledge of database performance tuning and optimisation - again you may not be an expert but will need to create work plans to handle performance issues, and manage people who focus on this ares Database administration is carried out by a third party, with a part-time in-house role. Some database administration knowledge may be useful, but this is not mandatory and definitely not the function of this role
- Additionally, any further database knowledge (for example, NoSQL) or knowledge of Cloud database platforms (AWS Oracle RDS, Oracle Cloud) to guide future direction of our platform will be useful. We will likely always continue to use Oracle, but it is not always the right solution for every problem
- A keen problem solver within scope of project and has the ability to come up with creative solutions
- You care about people development and management, and build effective teams that are focused on delivering great products & technology
WHAT YOU WILL GET IN RETURN
- A great salary in addition to a generous pension scheme (up to 5% matched)
- Peace of mind - we offer comprehensive health cover
- A dedicated learning and development team for Tech, Udemy, BookBoon and more
- Regular Tech Meetups hosted in the office on a range of topics from Scala to Agile Leadership
- Wellbeing - we care about your physical and mental health and offer you subsidised gym memberships, a cycle to work scheme, sports clubs, office yoga, and (almost) daily meditation classes
- A great office with everything you need to do your job and enjoy your place of work including fresh fruit and cereal, fantastic open space on our roof and shower facilities
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom. Verification checks will be conducted during the interview process and a full DBS check on acceptance of offer. Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.