Kobalt was founded in 2000 with a mission: Make the music industry fairer and rewarding for creators.
We wanted to give creators, our artists, songwriters, musicians, labels and publishers, the freedom and transparency they needed to build their careers.
Today, Kobalt does exactly that. Our music technology services including Publishing, Recordings, Synchronization and the world’s first Global Digital Collection Society are trusted by some of the world’s greatest artists, and we represent more than 40% of the top 100 songs and albums in the U.S. and U.K. And it’s not just the big names we help. Our open platform allows new and upcoming artists and writers all over the world to get access to invaluable insights that help boost their musical careers.
Having undergone difficult times in the late 90s due to piracy, the music industry resurged due to streaming and curated online services and is now on a path of explosive growth as music becomes more ubiquitous than ever and distributed all over the world. Furthermore, data is today generated and collected at an unprecedented rate, through social media, marketing and other digital platforms.
As leaders in music technology, we are riding a rapid growth wave and scaling our systems and products to cope with current and future demand, while also building new innovative products that not only enable better decision making, increased efficiency but also help maximise revenue for creators.
At Kobalt, our Principal Engineers wear many hats. They’re change agents, using their passion to proactively and decisively helping improve our processes, practices, infrastructure, architecture and services.
They’re experts with deep technical knowledge and extraordinary problem solving skills, which they use to influence and support the business in decision making and in coming up with innovative solutions to new problems. They’re mentors and inspirational figures to engineers that thrive on learning and development. They use their clear vision and industry knowledge to contribute to Technology and Product roadmaps. They own the technology strategy and communicate it clearly to the rest of the organisation.
They do all of this and somehow still manage to have great impact as individual contributors of code, frameworks and tools.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING TO US
- Leadership and extraordinary problem solving skills to constantly improve our platforms and spearhead technological innovation
- Appreciation for software design, simplicity, scalability, re-usability and reliability
- Breadth of experience coupled with strong computer science and engineering fundamentals, enabling you to navigate, extend and re-invent complex systems
- Passion for metrics and data-driven decision making
- Relentless desire to improve continuously
- Drive to set the engineering culture and to contribute to hiring great engineers
- Deep understanding of Data, including its collection, governance and processing at scale (e.g. using tools such as Spark, Hadoop, Storm or Kafka)
- Contributions to the technology community through open source, publications, speaking or university lecturing.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom. Verification checks will be conducted during the interview process and a full DBS check on acceptance of offer. Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.