Kobalt was founded in 2000 with a mission: Make the music industry fairer and rewarding for creators.
We wanted to give artists, songwriters, musicians, labels and publishers the freedom and transparency they needed to build their careers.
Today, Kobalt does exactly that. Our music technology driven music services including Publishing, Recordings and the world’s first Digital Collection Society are trusted by some of the world’s greatest artists, and we represent more than 40% of the top 100 songs and albums in the U.S. and U.K
WHAT IS IT LIKE TO BE AN ENGINEER AT KOBALT
As an engineer at Kobalt you’ll be involved in the whole development life cycle starting with planning and roadmapping sessions with the product team, writing clean, scalable and fully tested code.
Our new developers are always mentored by an existing and more experienced member of the team and have access to an extensive range of learning materials ranging from a free Udemy account to access to a library of online e-books and audiobooks.
As a technology company we are also committed to sharing our knowledge and experiences with the wider technology community through monthly technology and diversity focussed events.
HOW DOES THIS ROLE CONTRIBUTE TO KOBALT?
Our 100 strong engineering team is split into 4 main areas aligning to our core business units - publishing, recordings, digital collections and synch. Each of these areas is split further into smaller product or feature lead teams.
Our engineering teams find creative solutions to solve complex problems that help us provide most innovative ways for creators to distribute their work, collect their royalties, keep track of their streaming data and sync their music to TV, film and advertising opportunities that exists in the music world today.
As a Senior Engineer at Kobalt you will be responsible for working on technology problems ranging from the large scale transformation of a monolith application that processes billions of royalty payments monthly, into scalable, language agnostic services, to using predictive analysis to build recommendation engines that help our Synch team find music to fit briefs from advertising agencies from a catalogue of millions of songs.
Language is not the most important thing to us when we look for Engineers. What is important is that our engineers are curious, adaptable, dependable, always want to learn more, and are able to write clean, tested and reliable code. To begin with, you will likely be coding in Java so some experience of Java or a similar object oriented language will be advantageous.
We follow best practices, test our own code and deploy our own work with the help of our operations team.
This is a unique opportunity to be hands on with both the product and the technology whilst helping to shape the future of music for creators.
IDEALLY YOU WILL...
- Have a Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science or a related field or equivalent working experience
- Be comfortable in multiple development languages (static and dynamic) including Java, and interested in learning more
- Have a good understanding of systems design, algorithms, and data structures
- Experience with AWS, Google Cloud, or any proprietary clouds
- Experience with big data technologies (e.g. Hadoop) and with microservices architecture
- Demonstrate a devops-centric approach for delivering high quality and reliable service development, with a test driven approach for delivering clean, tested and reliable code
- Have experience of transferring knowledge and mentoring graduates and more junior team members
WHAT YOU WILL GET IN RETURN
- A great salary in addition to a generous pension scheme (up to 5% matched)
- Peace of mind - we offer comprehensive health cover
- A dedicated learning and development team for Tech, Udemy, BookBoon and more
- Regular Tech Meetups hosted in the office on a range of topics from Scala to Agile Leadership
- Wellbeing - we care about your physical and mental health and offer you subsidised gym memberships, a cycle to work scheme, sports clubs, office yoga, and (almost) daily meditation classes
- A great office with everything you need to do your job and enjoy your place of work including free healthy (and unhealthy) snacks, fresh fruit and cereal, fantastic open space on our roof and shower facilities
- Our infamous Kobalt Socials including quarterly-company wide rooftop parties and regular team socials, beers/wine/soft drinks on a Friday and the odd famous person doing a gig in our kitchen
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom. Verification checks will be conducted during the interview process and a full DBS check on acceptance of offer. Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.