Kobalt was founded in 2000 with a mission: Make the music industry fairer and rewarding for creators.
We wanted to give artists, songwriters, musicians, labels and publishers the freedom and transparency they needed to build their careers.
Today, Kobalt does exactly that. Our music technology driven music services including Publishing, Recordings and the world’s first Digital Collection Society are trusted by some of the world’s greatest artists, and we represent more than 40% of the top 100 songs and albums in the U.S. and U.K
As we continue to scale both in terms of customer base and size, Kobalt Music is looking to hire Principal Engineers to support our engineering teams and business leaders on a mission to change the way that musicians and artists are represented in the music industry.
At Kobalt, our Principal Engineers are hands-on, manager level individual contributors who bring extensive system and architecture knowledge as well as passion and desire to solve the most complex and difficult software engineering problems at scale.
You will align to one of our three core business driven engineering teams (Publishing, Recordings, Collection Society) and work with the VP of Engineering and Engineering Director of that team to deliver innovative solutions to problems such as the re-architecture of a monolith application into scalable services or the automation of a royalty processing application that processes a billion royalties per quarter.
You will operate with a customer centric mindset, will be highly analytical and will be able to spot and overcome engineering blockers before they happen.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING TO US
- You will be an experienced technology leader with a mind for technological innovation and pragmatism
- You will be largely technology agnostic but have a good understanding of computer science fundamentals and ideally have worked within complex Java environments
- You will have a good understanding of Data Engineering principles and will have dabbled in tools like Spark/Hadoop/MapReduce
- You will have an appreciation for complex system design and high level architecture
- You will strive for constant improvement using data as a tool for iteration
- You will be a contributor to the technology community whether that be by open source contribution, publications, speaking or university lecturing
WHAT YOU WILL GET IN RETURN
- A great salary in addition to a generous pension scheme (up to 5% matched)
- Peace of mind - we offer comprehensive health cover.
- A dedicated learning and development team for Tech, Udemy, BookBoon and more
- Regular Tech Meetups hosted in the office on a range of topics from Scala to Agile Leadership
- Wellbeing - we care about your physical and mental health and offer you subsidised gym memberships, a cycle to work scheme, sports clubs, office yoga and (almost) daily meditation classes
- A great office with everything you need to do your job and enjoy your place of work including free healthy (and unhealthy) snacks, fresh fruit and cereal, fantastic open space on our roof and shower facilities
- Our infamous Kobalt Socials including quarterly-company wide rooftop parties and regular team socials, beers/wine/soft drinks on a Friday and the odd famous person doing a gig in our kitchen
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom. Verification checks will be conducted during the interview process and a full DBS check on acceptance of offer. Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.