Joining the synchronization and creative team in Hong Kong, reporting to the Director, the Business Development Manager will be responsible for creative pitching and clearance of rights for the Kobalt Music Publishing and Kobalt Music Recordings catalogues in Asia. The successful candidate will be a target driven, proactive team member to further develop client relations across various media including artist, record label, advertising and other media to be determined.
Founded in 2000 by Willard Ahdritz, Kobalt is creating the music company of the future. Kobalt is a global music and technology company built for artists, songwriters, publishers and labels as an alternative to the traditional music business model. Kobalt have built the technology infrastructure to enable better reporting and for artists to maintain ownership and control over how their work is distributed, tracked, collected, and monetized. This global technology platform is able to track and collect royalties for the billions of micro-payments per song in digital music today.
We’re currently 600 people based across 10 offices and we’re still growing.
WHAT DOES A BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER AT KOBALT DO?
- Creative pitching of the Kobalt Music Publishing and Kobalt Music Recordings catalogue across various media including advertising, television, film and online for synchronization business.
- Creative pitching of the Kobalt Music Publishing demo to artist, producer and record label in the region for cover/adaptation purpose.
- Facilitate, negotiate and close all licensing requests.
- Create, develop and maintain relationships with varying levels of executives at ad agencies, brands, music supervisors, production companies, directors, editors, songwriters, producers and record labels, etc.
- Proactively reach out to contacts for their creative music needs to further build the Kobalt profile and increase revenue.
- Create strategic proposals that will tie in with upcoming artist releases/marketing campaigns.
- Maintain good relationships with Kobalt clients, including but not limited to writers and artists, as well as their representatives.
- Work with sub-publishers to the region to facilitate copyright checking and right clearance for local synchronization activities.
- Attend Kobalt client events/shows as necessary and bring key contacts from all media areas to these events/shows
- Attend industry events and/or organise artist showcases as necessary
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Mid-Level to Senior level experience working creatively in the synchronisation and/or music business with well-developed relationships within the industry
- Proven sales record and ability to close deals
- Proven ability to work on creative music searches and place songs
- In depth knowledge of music licensing and industry terminology used to negotiate the material deal points of a brand and synchronisation license as well as
- Copyright knowledge as it relates to the music industry (on both the master and publishing side)
- Detail oriented, organised, timely and accurate
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and efficiently
- Excellent communication, time management and interpersonal skills
- Punctual and available to work extra hours as needed
- Strong proficiency in computer software applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, iTunes, Emailing marketing tools etc.
You may be working for a Music Publisher, Label or as a music supervisor but most important is that you enjoy working in a collaborative team environment, and also have the ability to work independently.
2018 Financial Times Boldness in Business – Drivers of Change Nominee
2018 Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in Music
2017 Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in Music
2017 Music Week Publisher of the Year
Check out our blog: