We are looking for an experienced attorney for a position in AWAL’s Los Angeles office. This role will focus on negotiating and drafting rights acquisition agreements for label services and digital distribution clients and will oversee day to day business affairs operations for AWAL in Los Angeles. The ideal candidate will have 7 to 10 years of relevant experience within a record label or label services company.
Kobalt has revolutionized the music publishing business by putting the creator at the center of everything we do. We are now taking the same approach and transforming the way recording artists release music through AWAL. Whether an artist is looking for the best digital distribution or a truly global campaign, AWAL has become the partner of choice for innovative artists at all stages of their careers. This has created a high-quality path for artists to remain outside of the traditional label system while maintaining ownership of their masters. Our roster of clients includes artists such as Lauv, R3HAB, Timeflies, The Wombats, Betty Who, Rex Orange County, Tom Misch, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, and many more.
We’re currently over 500 people based across 10 offices and we’re expecting to grow. That’s where you come in. If you feel like the fast-paced, rewarding environment of our rapidly growing company is for you - share your story! Apply today and tell us why you are the next best addition to our successful team!
WHAT DOES AN AWAL ATTORNEY DO?
- Negotiate and draft label services rights acquisition agreements and related matters (e.g. marketing opportunities, live performance agreements, video agreements, etc.); supervise one or more junior attorneys work in these areas
- Negotiate and draft master licensing agreements
- Participate in the development and refinement of forms and processes to accommodate substantial growth in AWAL’s US label services operations
- Liaise with US General Counsel and AWAL UK operations to coordinate AWAL business affairs on a global basis
- Assist with other Kobalt business affairs and legal tasks as required
- Stay informed of industry trends, focusing on digital exploitation of masters
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience working as an attorney negotiating and drafting label services/record label agreements
- Previous experience on both master and publishing sides is preferred
- Strong drafting skills
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Comfortable working in a fast paced & evolving environment
- Highly organized with effective time management skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.