Known is a modern marketing company engineered to meet the unprecedented challenges and opportunities facing marketers today. We are setting a new standard by pairing data scientists with award-winning creatives, expert research teams, and strategists to deliver clients the most advanced, end-to-end solutions they need, in the most efficient, effective, and transparent ways. Anchored by two decades of groundbreaking market research and data science, we provide brands with consumer intelligence, strategy, media planning and buying, and renowned creative in all media, producing some of the most innovative, cutting-edge work in culture today. With offices in New York, Boston, Austin, Los Angeles and Seattle, we are a community of 300+ extraordinarily talented people, working as one team to help our clients succeed.
This role is fully remote to start! Upon our offices re-opening in Fall 2021, you will have the option to remain fully remote (if based in a state where Known has an office- NY, MA, TX, WA, CA- for payroll purposes), switch to a hybrid remote/office model, or work fully in-office! At Known, we believe in flexibility!
As a Lead Software Engineer at Known, you can expect to work on the backend across a wide variety of projects. You’ll join small, highly focused teams, where you’ll have the opportunity to significantly influence the direction of our products, team practices, and the company’s broader technical culture!
Because our work is often project-driven, we are always reevaluating and updating our tech stack, which means you’ll always be learning new skills and developing expertise in industry-leading technologies! On the backend, you'll be working on distributed systems, API endpoints, event-driven microservices, asynchronous and parallel programming, pipelines, and reporting systems. You'll be responsible for designing these distributed systems and pipelines using a variety of architectural design patterns. You'll leverage industry standard tools such as Flask, Tornado, SQLAlchemy, PostgreSQL, Redshift, RabbitMQ, Docker, Kubernetes, Vue, and more. Each project offers unique exciting challenges!
You'll primarily use Python on the backend. Most of our infrastructure is cloud-based (AWS), and we make heavy use of Docker and container orchestrators for deployment. We strive to implement practices like CI/CD, environment parity, and testing. Finally, we actively promote open source projects internally; check out pytest-mock-resources, one of our in-house custom plugins!
What You’ll Do
- Design and build full-stack web applications
- Create performant Web APIs with Flask or Tornado
- Integrate with industry standard datastores like PostgreSQL and Redshift, as well as new and exciting technologies like Snowflake
- Design asynchronous and event-driven services with RabbitMQ or Redis
- Produce robust ETL pipelines with Airflow or Apache Spark
- Deploy these applications across multiple environments with Docker, Helm, and Kubernetes
- Work closely with data scientists and product managers on a wide variety of products and projects that span the marketing and advertising industries across both television and digital
- Lead teams and projects of various sizes
- Mentor more junior engineers and help train them on newer technology and best practices
- Help recruit the next generation of engineers at Known
- Document processes and tools to socialize knowledge and build skills throughout the team
- Play an active role in designing and building new, cutting edge products
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Approximately 7+ years experience in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field
- Highly proficient with Python
- Experience with SQL and relational databases
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes is a plus
- Experience with Airflow, ETL, or message-oriented architectures is a plus
- Experience with big data tools and technologies such Spark, Presto, AWS Athena, Parquet, and AWS EMR is a plus
- Unlimited PTO
- 401k with company matching and no vesting period
- Annual bonuses
- Equity plan with profit-sharing
- Vacation and anniversary cash bonuses
- 100% company-paid medical, dental and vision for Known employees
- Paid parental leave
- In-house barista plus cold brew on tap!
Known is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or qualified job applicants on the basis of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or locally protected class.