Associate, Data Governance, Chicago, IL
As the market leader in enterprise contracts intelligence, Knowable gives corporate clients revolutionary visibility into the relationships that govern their businesses. By converting archaic legal language into structured data, Knowable helps its clients find, search, organize, and analyze their contracts, providing - for the first time - portfolio level views of risks, obligations, and entitlements. As the world’s leader in contract data analytics, with more than 25 million contract data elements analyzed each quarter, Knowable combines proprietary machine learning tools with scalable facilities for human quality control that, together, enable a full contracts intelligence solution for the enterprise.
We are seeking an Associate, Data Governance to join our Client Service team in Chicago. Come be a part of it!
Our team handles complex, high-profile projects for Fortune 500 companies who are undergoing, mergers, spin-offs, regulatory changes, and legacy contract review. The team is an industrious group of erstwhile lawyers and problem-solving wizards who have a passion for efficiency, technology, and, occasionally, karaoke.
We are looking for someone who shares our passion for changing the legal industry for the better and thrives in a fast-paced environment where you can truly make an impact.
This is a rare opportunity to work on technology and data governance matters while on our Client Service Projects team. That means this person will not be assigned to a single client, but will be part of the Knowable Chicago office, providing subject matter knowledge, technical advice from a legal perspective, coaching, and moral support to our corporate transactional projects business while being a liaison with Knowable’s development function. We are looking for someone who has a technology background paired with the legal and project delivery expertise.
The Associate, Data Governance will:
- Provide operational support for our corporate transactional projects business. This includes providing practical legal assistance and support on business matters in a fast-paced environment & working directly with business clients, providing both sound guidance and practical solutions
- Work in tandem with our Software Development and Technical Product Teams to: a.) find and catalog sample data for a specific legal term or field in a set of contracts; b) map historical data for existing legal terms/fields to match new terminology; c) create new observations from review of historical data for newly defined legal terms; d) rationalize new data models for new clients or projects.
- Work with the Data Governance Pod to ensure consistent usage and interpretation of the Standard Data Model from multiple sources and clients, through reaching out to Client Services PMs, reviewing playbooks, and personal research.
- Perform Quality Review of user-input contract data across multiple clients to confirm accuracy for the purposes of collecting training data for our machine learning models.
- Review, draft, and train others on a wide range of technology agreements such as, procurement, sales & service, licensing, distribution, SaaS, and other agreements (to name a few!)
- Utilize substantive transactional knowledge to drive process improvements within the projects offering
- Have an appetite for innovation, driving efficiencies by developing decision trees, templates, and use of contract management systems
- Handle legal escalations; this requires a deep understanding of the legal landscape & the practice area of commercial transactions as well as the gravitas to advise client
- Participate in early-stage sales activities, which are led by the Knowable Practice Management team, as an advisor and practitioner within our Contract Projects team broadly
- Provide expertise in our Contract Services, and work with Knowable Practice Management team, building client understanding, confidence, and enthusiastic acceptance for proposed solutions, resulting in Knowable winning proposed work.
- Expert level understanding of online review tools and software systems, including Relativity. Excel, & PowerPoint
- Possess prior management experience and/or solid business acumen
- Superb time management, judgment, decision-making and problem-solving skills; a sense of humor probably won’t hurt
- Relentless focus on client needs & desire to consistently raise the bar on service excellence
- Exhibit Knowable’s Core Values of being Committed, Thoughtful, Irresistible, & Fresh
- JD Required
- Bachelor’s degree required
As a member of an ISO Certified center, the candidate will be required to follow the policies and procedures on Information Security Management System in place at the Chicago Center and globally at Knowable. As a member of the Knowable team, the applicant will have access to various company and client assets and will be required to maintain the level of security as identified for each asset.