The short & sweet summary
Knoetic has a massively ambitious vision to guide every people & HR decision a company will ever make.
It seems crazy until you see the product in action. Here’s just a small sample of innovative companies that use Knoetic: Amobee, Snyk, Figma, Calm, Curology, Ro, and more.
We’re backed by Accel, the founders of public companies, thought leaders like NYT bestselling author Adam Grant, and dozens of leading Chief People Officers.
We’re looking for a VP of Engineering who would help define and execute against our visionary product roadmap. You will balance individual contribution and mentorship, and we’ll give you as much opportunity as you can handle. This will be a transformational, career-defining choice for you (and for us!) as Knoetic grows.
What you’ll do
Within your first week, you will:
- Onboard and learn more about the company’s mission, culture, and values. You’ll write a user manual and a Professional Development Plan outlining exactly how you want to grow professionally over the next 2-3 years.
- Understand Knoetic's tech infrastructure at a very high level. We will pair you up with an onboarding buddy to help you get up to speed
- Start building an engineering-centric employer brand: speak on panels, encourage open source contributions, blog posts about non-proprietary aspects of our technology architecture/usage, etc.
Within your first month, you will:
- Participate in roadmapping and architecture discussions
- Collaborate with our product manager and product designer to deliver a low/medium sized project
- Up-level team productivity and speed by introducing or revising processes
- Coordinate closely with the people/recruiting team on hiring strategy
At three months, you'll be fully ramped! You will:
- Lead a complex project from inception to deployment and drive ambitious technical projects that immediately impact our users
- Identify, evaluate, and define improvements to the existing infrastructure and product
- Mentor and support other engineers on the team. Evangelize high quality software engineering practices
- Go above and beyond to deliver a project which is outside of your core team and expertise
- Hire your first engineer
Who you are
- Managed real scale: built and delivered products that have scaled in the market, with a track record of shipping industry-leading products on tight timelines; designed and executed the underlying processes that made this happen.
- Inspirational leadership: speaks externally on a regular basis to help build our brand; has a ready roster of high performing engineers who would quit their jobs to work for them
- You’ve worked on a high-velocity product team. You understand how to build systems that enable fast product iteration. You’re comfortable weighing trade-offs between functionality, quality, and technical debt. (You may have been an early engineer/technical cofounder at an early-stage company.)
- Strong technology fundamentals and the ability to make high impact decisions about the long term viability/scalability of technical solutions. Communication via system design diagrams and ability to toggle between breadth and depth
- Great communicator: structured, clear, great listener, can boil complex concepts into straightforward ideas; also knows whom to involve, when, and how.
The key attributes we value in teammates:
- You like to win. You don’t want a trophy for effort, you want it for first place.
- You’re high IQ, intellectually curious, and intellectually humble. You’re not afraid to say, “I don’t know - but I’ll figure it out, fast.”
- You never say, “that’s not my job” - you take full ownership and responsibility over outcomes. You’re a force of nature that gets the job done no matter what it takes.
- You make everyone else on the team better. Your presence, positivity, and drive inspires others to step up their game. You put the company above your own wants.
- You’re known for your work ethic. You pride yourself on being one of the hardest-working person most people know.
- You’re constantly improving. You know there’s no such thing as perfection, and you’re always pushing yourself (and our company) to be better than you were yesterday.
- You’re just good: You’re honest, principled, smart, open to giving/receiving feedback, and focused on doing right for the company and doing right for the customer
- You’re incredibly ambitious and want to build the #1 company in this space, without exception.
- You make excellent use of GIFs!
- The standard stuff: competitive salary and benefits (including fun perks for lifelong learners, like a $2,500 learning budget!)
- Knoetic's cultural values resonate deeply with you (see below)
Knoetic's cultural values
Written by our founder in 2020.
Intellectual curiosity: I want to surround myself with people who are endlessly curious, who are always asking questions, who are fascinated with understanding others and the world around them. We’re the kids who grew up always asking “Why?”
Intellectual humility: I want to work with people who embrace the scientific method, who go into conversations with an open mind and ear, who are looking for ways to sharpen their thinking, who are delighted to find out when they’re wrong rather than invested in defending why they’re right.
Relentless resourcefulness: Our company should be full of people who will run through walls to get to their goals, who will bring more solutions than problems to others, who will figure out a way to succeed no matter what.
Winning: People who thrive here will only settle for our company being #1. They can only live with themselves if we own the top spot. Second place is last place.
Positive impact on others: There are people, who by the very virtue of their presence, make everyone else around them a better person. It could be because they have unwaveringly high standards. Or are incredible givers that inspire generosity. Or are teachers of their peers. However they do it, they push others upwards. They are culture accretive; their very presence makes everyone else step up their game.
Positivity. You know it when you see it - can-do, optimistic. That doesn’t mean everyone doesn’t have down moments - it just means on balance, you walk away from your interactions with them energized and charged up to do more with your life.
Continuous improvement: We’re always making ourselves better. Stasis is the enemy… if you’re not going forwards, you’re going backwards. Everything is a work-in-progress in perpetuity - yourself included.