Kiva (kiva.org) is an international nonprofit with a mission to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We run a global marketplace platform to crowdfund microloans for financially excluded entrepreneurs, farmers and students around the world. Through Kiva Capital, we serve as a bridge between large scale impact first investors and underserved populations. Our digital identity platform enables borrowers who don’t have a track record with traditional financial institutions to record and verify their financial history and gain access to less costly mainstream financial markets.
Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. Since 2005, we have raised more than $1.57 billion in loan capital for 3.9 million borrowers in 98 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
Launched in 2019, Kiva Capital Management “KCM” is an impact-first, private credit asset manager and wholly-owned subsidiary of Kiva. Kiva Capital Management currently manages a family of pooled vehicles that provide funding to financial service providers and social enterprises globally.
We are looking for a talented and highly motivated strategy leader to join the Kiva team. This Director of Strategic Investments will be responsible for leading the research, strategy development, and implementation of new initiatives within Kiva’s investment business. Specifically, as an initial project, the candidate will be tasked with the creation of a product line serving individual investors. The role will also be tasked with making significant contributions to the continued success of Kiva’s work in the US. The ideal candidate is a practical, compassionate, and flexible leader with elite product development and project management skills. This role will be based in the US, in one of Kiva offices in San Francisco, Portland, or New York. Remote locations will be considered for the right candidate.
At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
Key responsibilities include:
- Retail Investment Strategy
- Lead the development and ultimate implementation of a retail investment strategy that allows the organization to begin offering return-bearing impact investments to non-Professional investors.
- Collaborate with senior leadership across Kiva to identify, articulate, and execute the optimal go-to-market strategy for this product segment.
- Lead this initiative for Kiva by developing a strong operational framework that incorporates contributions from Investor Relations, Marketing, Engineering, Investments, Legal, Risk, Compliance, and Finance.
- Together with the VP of Strategic Investments, develop a clear and compelling pitch that Kiva’s Strategic Partnerships can utilize with potential funders for this retail business line.
- U.S. Domestic Strategy
- Lead strategy development for the Kiva US Direct Lending program.
- Partner with Kiva’s California Rebuilding Fund team to maximize impact, success, and scalability of that fund.
- Develop a deep understanding of Kiva’s existing efforts in the United States and research, develop and recommend new initiatives to maximize our impact on underserved communities in the United States.
- Develop data backed recommendations on how Kiva US can become a self-sustaining lending platform serving a portfolio of 10,000+ financially excluded entrepreneurs.
- Work closely with Kiva Impact team to design and record Kiva US’ holistic impact
- Future Business Lines
- Ideate and evaluate new initiatives for Kiva and Kiva Capital’s continued growth
- Team Management
- Manage external strategy consulting resources as appropriate
- As new initiatives are launched, manage the hiring and structuring of relevant teams
- Team Support
- Ensure the continued success and growth of the Kiva US Direct Lending team
- Support VP of Strategic Investments on existing Kiva Capital vehicles as necessary.
- 8+ years experience in impact investing, investment management, or strategy consulting with a bias towards new product development.
- Track record of leadership in building growing, thriving teams.
- Proven results in bringing new initiatives to scale.
- Understanding of private assets and the regulatory environment therein, private debt a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Dedicated commitment to financial inclusion.
- Passion for and expertise in democratizing impact investing.
- Track record in navigating complex organizational structures.
- Alignment with Kiva's goal of creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace.
What we offer:
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.