Kiva (kiva.org) is an international nonprofit with a mission to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We run a global marketplace platform to crowdfund microloans for financially excluded entrepreneurs, farmers and students around the world. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. In just 13 years, we have raised more than $1.2 billion in loan capital for 2.7 million borrowers in 83 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
As a Senior Android Developer, you’ll be a key member of an established team during an exciting time of growth and innovation. The ideal candidate is familiar with Kiva’s platform and passionate about our mission. Effective communication is among the most important tools in your toolbox. You are always looking at how things can be improved and examine problems from all angles.
This role is open to both remote candidates and candidates local to our Portland or San Francisco offices, and will report to an Engineering Manager based in Portland. At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
- Help lead our work to design and build elegant new mobile-first experiences in partnership with other stakeholders, making Kiva accessible to new audiences
- Help foster a spirit of innovation and collaboration both within the engineering team and across the organization
- Work to create impactful and sustainable solutions to complex problems by taking bold and measured risks
- Balance your technical excellence with a sense of empathy, awareness, and responsibility
- Share the knowledge you gain generously with your peers to perpetuate a culture of engineering excellence
- You have experience leading technical initiatives and are comfortable with agile, evolving strategies
- 4+ years of experience developing user-facing features
- Solid foundations in Kotlin
- Experience with writing unit and integration tests, and supporting CI/CD pipelines
- You have developed, shipped, and supported at least one significant Android app
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- Experience building localized and globalized apps.
- Experience with MVI or unidirectional data flow architecture
- Experience with GraphQL
- Interest in and/or experience with Jetpack Compose
What We Offer
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and improve financial access across the globe
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- A comprehensive health benefits package, 401(k), and unlimited (and encouraged) PTO
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.