Social Enterprise Investment Manager (6-month contract)
Colombia, Kenya, U.S Remote
Kiva (kiva.org) is an international nonprofit with a mission to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We run a global marketplace platform to crowdfund microloans for financially excluded entrepreneurs, farmers and students around the world. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. In 15 years, we have raised more than $1.4 billion in loan capital for 3.5 million borrowers in 83 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
Kiva's Impact Investments team works with partners and borrowers from all over the world, who post profiles for fundraising onto the Kiva website. The team is responsible for sourcing, monitoring and managing relationships with these partners and borrowers, onboarding and training new partners, and ensuring that all funding relationships are compliant with Kiva’s policies and are aligned with Kiva's social mission and strategic focus. The Impact Investments team includes staff based in the US, Colombia, Kenya, and Thailand, who manage Kiva’s investment relationships in every region of the world. We are looking for a talented and highly motivated professional to join our team.
Kiva’s Impact Investments team seeks a Social Enterprise Investment Manager to help manage Kiva’s growing portfolio of Social Enterprise borrowers. This is a 6-month contract position. The contractor will be responsible for sourcing, due diligencing for potential investment, and supporting social enterprises at a global level that operate in areas of impact (such as agriculture, health, water and sanitation, renewable energy, and education). The ideal candidate is a flexible and positive team player who is passionate about Kiva’s mission and is able to design creative solutions to challenging problems. This is an ideal position for someone with a background in finance, investing, business, accounting, or international development who is looking to gain experience in impact investing/lending. This role will be remote based with preferences for location in the US, Kenya and Colombia and will report to the Senior Investment Manager.
- Relationship Management — Develop strong relationships with potential and existing social enterprises.
- Business Development — Develop a network to source and recruit new social enterprise investments. Screen potential investments and review applications.
- Due Diligence — Conduct desk due diligence of potential Investments to assess prospects’ financial and social performance, and mission fit with Kiva. Draft Investment memos and present potential Investments for approval by the Investment Committee.
- Deal Structuring — Participate in negotiations on Investment terms and conditions with the goal of maximizing impact at scale while ensuring Kiva remains efficient and sustainable.
- Technical and Operational Support — Assist in onboarding newly Invested social enterprise, act as liaison surrounding repayment notifications, collections, restructuring and defaults to these social enterprises. Update Kiva stakeholders on new developments and/or issues.
- Strategic Partnerships — Manage active relationships with other funders of assigned social enterprises; seek out co-investment opportunities where possible.
- Documentation - Assist in streamlining Kiva’s Social Enterprise operations, improve tracking tools and develop analysis on existing borrower portfolio and their performance.
- Technical experience with lending/investing in private companies, including financial statement analysis.
- 4+ years of work experience in Investment Management, Finance, International Business, Economic Development, Social Enterprise or related role.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Business, Finance, International Development, Economics or Engineering
- Research or field experience in one or more of our strategic sectors (agriculture, clean energy, water, sanitation, health, or education)
- Strong analytical abilities to assess business models, loan products, and financial statements; excellent writing skills
- Full professional fluency in English required; Spanish a big plus.
- Effective while working remotely and independently.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to tailor communications to a wide variety of audiences and stakeholders, across multiple cultures.
- Ability to network extensively and manage relationships effectively.
- Ability to manage time well and prioritize across competing tasks.
- Tech savvy. Proficient in office software and adept at learning and using technology platforms.
What we offer:
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- Industry-competitive hourly contract rates
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!