Kiva (kiva.org) is an international nonprofit with a mission to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We run a global marketplace platform to crowdfund microloans for financially excluded entrepreneurs, farmers and students around the world. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. Since 2005, we have raised more than $1.4 billion in loan capital for 3.6 million borrowers in 95 countries. Our lenders fund over $13 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
About Data Science @Kiva
The Data Science team at Kiva creates impact by using data to solve problems around financial inclusion. This translates to a host of exciting and challenging technical problems spanning analytics, machine learning, data engineering, and infrastructure. The team is currently building out a new analytics stack, algorithms to power personalization on kiva.org, and is looking to scale analytics & data science for other kinds of problems. Our current ecosystem of infrastructure, tools, and skillsets include AWS, GCP, Kubernetes, Snowflake, Fivetran, Looker, DBT, Google Cloud Composer (Airflow), Snowplow, Python, Kotlin, and PHP.
About the Role
The team is looking for a strong engineer to help architect, design, build, maintain, and evolve our analytics platform. This is an opportunity to be an early influencer and a significant contributor to the direction and growth of the team. As a Senior Data Engineer, you will:
- Own an analytics platform that will influence the experience of millions of lenders and borrowers around the world.
- Work with internal stakeholders to identify their analytics needs, and drive the analytics engineering roadmap.
- Collaborate with analysts, data scientists & engineers to write data transforms/pipelines to generate reliable insights, and build data-driven products.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Work with various parts of the organization (Analytics, Engineering, Product, Operations, etc.) to support self-service analytics.
- Help foster a spirit of innovation and collaboration both within the engineering team and across the organization.
- Work to create impactful and sustainable solutions to complex problems by taking bold and measured risks.
- Balance your technical excellence with a high E.Q., showing up with a sense of empathy, awareness, and responsibility.
- Share the knowledge you gain generously with your peers to perpetuate a culture of engineering excellence.
This role will be based in San Francisco or Portland and will report to the Director of Data Science based in San Francisco. At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately, we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
- You have a BS in a quantitative discipline (computer science, engineering, physics, mathematics, or a related field) or comparable work experience.
- You have built data platforms to enable analytics and data-driven products using agile software development principles.
- You have 5+ years of data warehousing experience (data modeling, ETL/ELT, data cleansing, systems & database administration) on a modern data warehouse (like Redshift / Snowflake / etc.).
- You have experience working with modern analytics tools (like Looker / Tableau / Metabase, etc.) to design user-facing analytics.
- You have strong coding (SQL & Python) and report design skills.
- You have worked with various internal stakeholders to gather business requirements and translate them into technical solutions.
- You can communicate findings and recommendations to technical and non-technical audiences.
- You are willing to learn, take initiative, and wear multiple hats as required.
What We Offer:
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.