Kiva is an international nonprofit working in more than 80 countries, with a mission of expanding financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We do this by crowdfunding loans for entrepreneurs, women and students on our kiva.org lending platform, and by addressing the underlying barriers to financial access around the world through innovative projects and partnerships. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and heart of a nonprofit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi and Bangkok, Kiva’s team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
About the Role
The Director of Data Science will be the founding leader of the brand new data science team at Kiva. As an energetic driver of team, you will grow the organization with an emphasis on results and know how to motivate and inspire their team members, identify and draw out their strengths, and help them to level up in areas where growth is needed. You will embody our mission and values, consistently reinforcing them with the team through everyday actions. You are passionate about data and are capable of speaking to both technical and non-technical folks about its power and purpose. You are a data nerd and proud of it!
The Director of Data Science will report to the VP of Engineering.
At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
- Own data science and platform vision, roadmap and oversee major initiatives around data modeling, engineering and analysis
- Direct data science team, including hiring, mentoring, and providing technical guidance and advice
- Bring thought leadership around data across the organization and externally to continue to develop our engineering brand
- Partner with stakeholders across the organization to translate business problems into analytical frameworks
- In collaboration with the VP of Engineering, drive the vision for our data science platform and architecture
- Master’s degree in a related field (Data Science, Computer Science, Statistics or other quantitative fields)
- 7+ years work experience in data science (data engineering, statistics, machine learning) with increasing levels of responsibility
- 3+ years leading a data science team (data engineers, analysts, & scientists)
- Expert understanding of statistical analysis, model development, and data science techniques
- Familiarity with data visualizations and usage of visualizations to articulate findings
- Ph.D in a related field
- Background in physical sciences
- Working experience in smaller organizations and/or start-ups strongly desired
What We Offer
- An amazing mission: Kiva’s mission is to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty across the globe.
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world.
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues.
- Casual, comfortable work environment, located in a beautiful office in downtown San Francisco.
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package.
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.