WHO WE ARE
Kinship is here to help everyone pet parent like a pro. We’re a data-driven collective, building the future of pet care with interconnected solutions that reimagine every experience across the pet parent journey. We combine insights, products, and services to help people be the best pet parents they can be, and ultimately create a better world for pets. That includes our world-leading WISDOM PANEL™ genetic health screening and DNA testing for dogs, the award-winning WHISTLE™ GPS dog tracker and health monitor, Pet Insight Project, our ground-breaking science team that uses AI to turn billions of data points into actionable insights, and our partnerships like the LEAP VENTURE STUDIO accelerator that supports innovators and start-ups, allowing Kinship to bring new solutions to pet parents.
Kinship has a powerful new strategy to serve pets and pet parents, but contextually for this role today, consider Kinship in it’s talent constructs - the front line of our business (sales, operations, customer services), the functional teams (Talent, Finance, Legal, IT), and our platform development teams - Growth, Product and Tech. This Talent Business Partner role is primarily focused on the latter.
The Talent and Organization team is a small but a strong force behind Kinship’s innovation. With Kinship’s ambition to build a connected platform of digital-first businesses for the new generation of pet parents to help them pet parent like a pro! The talent team ensures we have the best talent and organization (systems, structures, culture etc) to meet our goals. Kinship’s ambition is underpinned by the unique capabilities we need to find and enable success.
The talent team is responsible for end-to-end people/HR practices in Kinship, but our core focus is on Talent, Organizational Effectiveness and Culture. We organize ourselves, currently, in 3 simple pods - business partnership, talent acquisition and development, operations & products.
We want to develop our team with a role formed around 3 pillars
- operational HR business partnership for the Kinship teams
- transformational talent program management (with highest priority being M&A integration if and when they occur)
- bringing us expertise in Org Change (with a lens of labor/employee relations).
The Talent team is spread geographically in San Francisco, Portland, New York (with the Head of Talent currently in London), given some of the complexities of labor law in New York, the 3rd pillar of this role will partner with our Talent Director for the Operating Businesses (Whistle, Wisdom, Petstory) to set strategy and support execution of employee relations events.
We're looking for a business partner with a growth attitude, and in a fast-paced business like Kinship, there’s always lots to get into!
Our new role (you?!) will report to our Global Head of Talent, but daily it works with our Talent Director in the business partnership pod. Of course it will collaborate with the rest of the team daily. As a team, we have designated owners for certain areas and projects, and then operate flexibly to distribute projects and work to provide variability and learning opportunities without piling too much on!
HOW YOU’LL HELP EVERYONE PET PARENT LIKE A PRO
- Within our business partnering ‘pod’, you’ll work with our Talent Director to provide business partnership across key groups in our organization.
- You’ll jump into a strategic set of transformation projects: supporting changes to our Culture & Engagement Strategy, Organization Change and development.
- You’ll work with leaders at Kinship to build teams and talent plans (with our ‘Talent Acquisition and Development Pod’).
- You’ll partner to build our pan Kinship associate experience (employees are associates, because we believe we all have a different type of relationship that’s not just a job working for someone) and support with day-to-day associate relations needs.
- You will run point on a variety of talent team projects ranging from benefits programs, culture assessment, learning initiatives, talent reviews, workforce planning, to leadership development.
- While we collectively own the culture, you will take a specific lead on implementing some talent programs related to our purposefully inquisitive (think learning and careers) and open to all (think diversity & inclusion) pillars.
- As our business grows through acquisition, we’ll look to you to support the integration of new businesses.
- You will Guides and counsel Kinship line managers through decision making and process improvement through research, analysis of information, and clear presentation of considerations
- You will Routinely provide leaders with feedback and counsel relative to employee understanding and engagement of our strategy as well as employee morale and communication effectiveness
THE PRO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
As Kinship people, we have three pillars that set out how we aim to be--in our everyday work, and in how we approach each other. We call these our Cultural Pillars. In all of the roles that we hire for, we look for people who are Optimistic, Purposefully Inquisitive, and Open to All. And for this role, you’ll need these skills to knock it out of the dog park:
- Program Management, ideation, development and roll out of programs.
- An external outlook, constantly looking at the newest, coolest, most innovative ideas.
- A growth mindset.
- A can do attitude.
- Full of courage and desire to take risks.
- You don’t need to have a pet, but a desire to make a Better World for Pets is critical.
- 5 years experience in HR Business Partnership (some time in HR generalist role too)
- An understanding and experience in execution of NY labor relations processes
- Functional excellence in 1 or more of the following, shown somewhat in order of priority:
- HR transformation (Organizational change management and effectiveness)
- Acquisition integration (You don’t need to have been the lead on integration, but we need multiple experiences in component parts to understand what it means for an M&A integration project, this includes due diligence, proposal building for integration, culture & talent assessment)
- Culture and Engagement
- Having worked in a start-up, tech platform, subscription, or content to commerce business models
- An enjoyment of a variety of HR projects, working with multiple stakeholders, as such bringing a strong organization, planning and project capability – able to work with pace as a result.
- Ability to work with high levels of discretion and confidentiality with leaders including our president
- Excellent communication skill and influencing.
- Change and learning agility. We operate flexibly as a team, so you must be up for jumping into different projects together!
- Pragmatic but creative
JOIN OUR PROS!
- Unique opportunities for a customizable career within pet care
- A super collaborative, flat work environment with direct access to our senior leadership team
- Work from the hottest cities across the world
- Dog-friendly workplaces
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k match, and pet benefits for you and your family
- Unlimited paid time off
- Flexible work opportunities
- Parental leave for the birth or adoption of your new human child (and fur baby)
- Discounts on pet products, services, nutrition and veterinary wellness plans
- Welcome kits with pet merch & Kinship swag
- An extensive onboarding program with a chance to meet all of our leaders across Kinship