WHO WE ARE
Kinship is here to help everyone pet parent like a pro. We’re a data-driven collective, building the future of pet care with interconnected solutions that reimagine every experience across the pet parent journey. We combine insights, products, and services to help people be the best pet parents they can be, and ultimately create a better world for pets. That includes our world-leading WISDOM PANEL™ genetic health screening and DNA testing for dogs, the award-winning WHISTLE™ GPS dog tracker and health monitor, Pet Insight Project, our ground-breaking science team that uses AI to turn billions of data points into actionable insights, and our partnerships like the LEAP VENTURE STUDIO accelerator that supports innovators and start-ups, allowing Kinship to bring new solutions to pet parents.
Whistle is the pet tech brand transforming the way we care for our pets by empowering the people who love them. As the pet wearable market leaders, we track pet’s health, location, and fitness, and provide access to on-demand televet services. By combining pet science and technology, our products help owners care for pets in ways not previously possible, and are changing the way we understand our pet’s overall health and well-being. Whistle is an operating company of Kinship, which is a tech division of Mars Petcare.
A BIT ABOUT OUR FIRMWARE TEAM
Our team designs for the foundation of Whistle’s business for all current and future hardware products. We provide research and technical insights that help shape the definition of new products, exploring emerging technologies that push boundaries and empower our business. We develop core driver and application functionality and maintain a comprehensive database of diagnostic device data to ensure that our products meet the high standard of quality that our customers have come to expect.
HOW YOU’LL HELP EVERYONE PET PARENT LIKE A PRO
- You breathe life into new hardware products during development and early production phases
- Your insightful analysis of diagnostic data empowers you to develop a world class product
- The features and products you develop empower our customers to be the best pet parents
- Your research into emerging technologies allows us to provide more powerful insights on our customers pets
Your specific responsibilities:
- Firmware development, test and debug targeting Cortex M4 + RTOS environment
- Defining and documenting software requirements and software design
- Board bring-up: working with HW engineers to debug pre-production boards and iterate design until functional.
- Participating in design and code reviews
- Help design and maintain development process to architect, document, implement, test and track sustainable and reusable code
THE PRO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
As Kinship people, we have three pillars that set out how we aim to be--in our everyday work, and in how we approach each other. We call these our Cultural Pillars. In all of the roles that we hire for, we look for people who are Optimistic, Purposefully Inquisitive, and Open to All. And for this role, you’ll need these skills to knock it out of the dog park:
- BS CS (or equivalent) and 5 years of experience in related fields minimum
- Demonstrated success leading firmware design & implementation for consumer devices is required
- Strong knowledge of C is required
- Developing for low power microcontrollers (e.g., TI MSP430, Cortex M series, Atmel AVR) is required
- Experience using Python analytics tools suites (e.g. pandas, numpy) is preferred
- Experience writing SQL queries and performing statistical analysis is preferred
- Optimizing peripheral / sensor communications for low power is preferred
- Familiar with WLAN/WPAN protocols and devices (e.g., Wi-Fi, Bluetooth) is preferred
- Familiar with analog sensors (e.g., temperature, light, accelerometer) is preferred
- Familiar with batteries and charger ICs is preferred.
- Experience with GPS systems a plus
- Proficiency with C++ and assembly is a plus plus
JOIN OUR PROS!
- Unique opportunities for a customizable career within pet care
- A super collaborative, flat work environment with direct access to our senior leadership team
- Work from the hottest cities across the world
- Dog-friendly workplaces
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k match, and pet benefits for you and your family
- Unlimited paid time off
- Flexible work opportunities
- Parental leave for the birth or adoption of your new human child (and fur baby)
- Discounts on pet products, services, nutrition and veterinary wellness plans
- Welcome kits with pet merch & Kinship swag
- An extensive onboarding program with a chance to meet all of our leaders across Kinship