The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be a 4-time recipient (2021-2024) of BuiltIn Chicago’s Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021, 2022, & 2023 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
Kin is searching for an experienced, highly collaborative DevOps Engineering Manager with the skills and leadership to tackle new challenges and drive continuous improvement of our infrastructure, pipelines, and practices.
The DevOps Engineering Manager is responsible for steering our remote-first DevOps team and ensuring Kin’s infrastructure is well-architected, highly observable, and cost-optimized.
This position requires the right mix of relevant experience and roll up your sleeves attitude, balancing tactics and strategy, outstanding verbal and written communication skills, action-oriented mindset, and the positivity and flexibility to help the DevOps team grow and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
A day in the life could include:
- Providing people and technical leadership for the DevOps team
- Engaging other teams to foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, and continuous improvement
- Guiding creation of innovative tooling and automations to enable engineering efficiencies
- Championing FinOps practices to accelerate cost transparency and optimization
- Building and maintaining CI/CD pipelines that enable rapid and reliable software releases
- Facilitating operational and tech ecosystem observability
- Partnering with teams across the org to test and improve Business Continuity/Disaster Recovery plans
- Developing and driving DevOps strategy that aligns with Kin’s short and long term objectives
- Managing team talent, including hiring, skill development, and performance evaluations
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 2+ years experience hiring, training, mentoring, and managing 5+ person geographically distributed workforce
- 4+ years experience in engineering, infrastructure, DevOps, or related roles
- Advanced experience in engineering and operations roles, preferably in technical operations or similar infrastructure positions
- Leading operations-centric, strategic, and highly collaborative engineering teams
- Implementation and support of high-availability AWS infrastructure
- Managing technical operations with a service mindset and proactive stakeholder engagement
- CI/CD and Infrastructure as Code pipelines
- Implementing measures for optimal cloud cost management and oversight
- Comfortable navigating ambiguity and taking proactive ownership
- Strong organizational skills, and ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities, assignments, and roles
- Verbal, written, and presentation skills, communicating technical and business issues to multiple audiences
- Supporting work transparency and Agile practices
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Remote work
- Generous equity package
- 401K with company match
- Parental leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.