The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
At Kin, we are modernizing and simplifying a 100-year-old industry through the use of data & technology. The data science team at Kin is a centralized department supporting the rest of the organization, including underwriting, claims, insurance product, operations, finance, and marketing. The Senior Data Scientist role will build machine learning and AI models to deliver value to all these business units and more. We want to hire someone with a diverse methodological skill set, who enjoys digging into data and using it to solve business problems, whatever they may be. Because we are building the team, there is ample opportunity for creative freedom and flexibility.
A day in the life could include:
- Development of GLM and tree-based models to predict profitability of each insured.
- Working with data engineering & business intelligence to develop modeling datasets, and contributing to the buildout of these data models
- Build ensemble algorithms to predict customer retention & conversion
- Automation of Kin’s direct mail strategy
- Creation of a lifetime value model to prioritize marketing by person/property and marketing initiative
- Researching advanced AI techniques to advance the industry, including building a computer vision model, and developing state of the art NLP models to interpret documents and assist in claims handling.
- Ideating Machine Learning use cases with business partners; gathering requirements, testing feasibility, etc.
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- Bachelor’s degree or Masters in Machine Learning, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, or a related field
- Masters / PhD in a technical field preferred
- Experience developing GLMs & tree-based models
- Experience mentoring and providing technical oversight to ML teams
- 5-7+ years working experience developing ML models
- Insurance experience preferred
- Familiarity with tools used to develop and implement predictive models (i.e. Domino Data Labs, Sagemaker, Docker, etc…)
- Experience interfacing with business partners to define data science projects and solutions
- Must have experience in applied mathematics or statistics
- Experience in programming in Python and understanding of the software development life cycle
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Familiarity with natural language processing models a plus
- Interest or experience in highly regulated and / or startup environment(s)
- Passion for telling stories with data
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.