The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
As Kin continues to grow, so does our Claims Department; we are looking for a Litigation Claims Adjuster with experience handling litigated property claims to join our team!
Because we tackle insurance differently, we want you to draw on your expertise in Florida residential property claims while helping us to continue to innovate on behalf of Kin’s customers and our stakeholders.
In this role, you can expect to oversee filed claims through the phases of litigation. You will have the opportunity to develop a litigation strategy after reviewing the initial complaint and any amended actions. Additionally, you will have the chance to give presentations covering trends, pre-suit claims, and matters in litigation. You will also help to address First Party Litigated files directly, including Civil Remedy Notices, NOI’s, and attend mediations on behalf of the organization.
A day in the life could include:
- Reviewing the applicability of civil law coverage as well as local statutes and recognizing coverage issues, policy language and considered facts
- Communicating with various parties associated with the claim by responding to written and verbal inquiries in a timely and professional manner, ensuring compliance within all company and statutory guidelines
- Preparing detailed and comprehensive initial reports and following up with effective action plans to resolve claim in a timely manner
- Preparing and reviewing the claim file and legal documents including but not limited to Civil Remedy Notices (CRN) and Notices of Intent to Litigate (NOI)
- Serving as corporate representative for discovery review and depositions
- Examining and appropriately interpreting insureds’ policies, forms in force, and other records to determine coverage and extent of company’s liability
- Drafting, approving, and adjusting estimates of damage and loss amounts
- Writing clear, concise diary notes, setting field assignments, setting and saving contacts, and issuing payments
- Appropriately applying knowledge of multiple state statutes, including the insurance code of ethics, rules, regulations, and guidelines
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 3+ years of first-party property claims adjusting (includes pre-litigation, NOI + CRN handling)
- Ability to collaborate with inside and outside council and leadership staff
- Experience working directly for an insurance carrier
- Strong working knowledge of Florida insurance laws and good faith claims handling experience focusing on structures/dwellings
- Technical savviness and familiarity with tools such as Excel and Xactimate
- Can clearly articulate and triage information in an oral and written capacity
- Outstanding organizational ability with desire to problem solve and investigate issues
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Generous equity package
- 401K match
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.