The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
As a Sr. Business Intelligence Analyst, you will be a critical part of the profitable growth of Kin Insurance. You will be responsible for the data & analytics for the Operations, Product, and Marketing departments. You will work with internal leadership and assist in defining and structuring critical reporting; collaborate with data engineering to ingest, clean, and analyze data from multiple sources; and deliver actionable insights across multiple teams. You will jointly own the cadence, automation and integrity of the one source of truth for Operations, Product, and Marketing data.
A day in the life could include:
- Using data to conduct deep-dive analysis, identify root causes of business trends, and formulate actionable recommendations for your stakeholders
- Developing diagnostic analytical solutions for complex business problems
- Being a key data-driven player in structuring an optimized plan of action to deliver comprehensive BI solutions across growth and profit initiatives
- Leading the design, development, and maintenance of scalable and reliable analytical tools, dashboards, and metrics that drive crucial decisions
- Collaborating with data engineering to develop the next data consumption layer in our new data platform
- Developing and optimizing complex SQL-based procedures to answer novel business questions
- Mentoring junior analysts on BI best practices and technical optimization
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- Bachelor’s degree or master’s in Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or a related field
- 5+ years of professional work experience in an analytic role eliciting the story from and developing actionable recommendations based upon data
- Excellent interpersonal skills, both oral and written
- Proven experience with business and technical requirements analysis, elicitation, modeling, verification, and methodology development
- Experience in highly regulated and fast paced environment
- Progressive experience with data visualization tools (Looker, Tableau, Power BI, Mode, etc). Experience with advanced Looker development is highly desirable.
- This role requires strong stakeholder management skills. This includes being able to draw out requirements (non-technical then technical) and manage stakeholders’ objectives and expectations. You will also partner with your stakeholders to define the metrics most important to them for measuring performance and success.
- Technical Requirements: Advanced SQL skills (proven track record to independently query data from disparate sources), Advanced Microsoft Excel skills (Pivot Tables, vLookup, Index/Match, Power Query, etc.)
- Experience in the Insurance Industry or analyzing Operations, Marketing, or Product datasets
- Experience in programming in R or Python is a plus
- Experience in data modeling for analytics is a plus
- Familiarity with ETL processes
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.