Kin is the home insurance company For Every New Normal. Because of our proprietary technology and direct-to-consumer model, we provide affordable pricing without compromising coverage, even in areas most impacted by climate change. We’re proud to offer fully digital homeowners insurance with an elegant user experience, accurate pricing, and fast, high-quality claims service.
We are also proud to be recognized as Built In’s 2021 Best Midsize Companies to Work For in Chicago and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in America. We are growing super fast, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to help lead the way.
So, what’s the role?
As a Staff Front-End Engineer, you'll work with other members of the front-end team in structuring, implementing and delivering front-end single page apps and in maintaining and releasing other traditional front-end interfaces. You’ll bring solutions to the table in data interactions (including API calls and websockets), CSS handling, images, animation, app bundling, and delivery. You’ll also be closely involved in planning work, as well as mentoring more junior developers and setting standards and culture.
Note: No one meets 100% of the requirements for a position. We encourage you to apply even if you are lacking one or more of the listed skills.
Coding Ratio: 55% code; 25% mentoring; 20% admin/collab
A day in the life could include:
- Write clean, maintainable, and efficient code in TypeScript, HTML, and CSS
- Collaborate with front-end team in making important decisions regarding front-end application design and delivery for both SPAs and traditional interfaces
- Collaborate with back-end engineers to inform intelligent API development
- Contribute to and expand the front-end engineering team’s code culture and practice, including documentation, testing, architecture and layout
- Implement solutions and best practices for application styling, animations, chunking, caching, etc.
- Participate in project management rituals with product team and other devs
- Lead pair programming sessions and provide mentorship to other team members
- Help identify and define new front-end roles and interview and assess applicants
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 5+ years of professional front-end engineering experience
- Experience with single-page apps in a modern SPA framework like Angular or React, including integration of API calls, websockets, and animations
- Familiarity with BEM methodology and/or Object Oriented CSS principles and/or custom component library development
- Comfortable in a startup environment – we’re fast-paced, self-motivated, and determined to change the industry
- Ability to work with non-technical stakeholders and explain cost-benefit analyses
- At this time, we are unable to sponsor employment visas
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (including 100% employer-paid plans)
- Remote/hybrid work environment and flexible work hours
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Onsite gym membership - when we return to the office (Chicago office only)
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.