ABOUT KHAN LAB SCHOOL
Khan Lab School is an independent school associated with Khan Academy. Our purpose is to develop new, personalized practices that center around the student. We believe that young people are capable of far more than society currently recognizes, and we create and test learning experiences to share with the world. Many of the core principles and ideas to be developed and tested in our school are outlined in Sal Khan’s book, The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined.
This fall, we are serving 135 students ages 5-15+ in Mountain View, California. In keeping with Sal Khan’s One World Schoolhouse philosophy, we provide an extended-year, extended-day, mixed-age program with a project-based learning approach. Recognizing that ownership and relationship are the keys to success in learning, our academic experience is coordinated by a team of Advisors, Content Specialists, and Associate Teachers who guide students through gradually increasing levels of independence.
Our teaching philosophy encourages meaningful inquiry and interdisciplinary work, and we utilize blended learning to meet the needs of each student. Thanks to our association with Khan Academy, we are leveraging the power of technology to humanize the classroom.
To learn more about our Vision & Learning Design, please visit our website: khanlabschool.org.
STORYTELLING INTERN RESPONSIBILITIES
The role of the KLS Storytelling Intern is to assist in furthering our vision: Designing student-centered global learning experiences, accessible to the world. Through the creation of stories about our school – both written and visual – your work will help make the KLS Learning Design accessible to the local and global community. This unpaid internship reports to the Head of Marketing & Community.
This is your opportunity to:
- Join a creative team of lifelong learners in Silicon Valley
- Use writing, art, media, and technology to hold an audience’s attention and drive change
- Get in on the ground floor of KLS as we develop a new model of education
- Gain immersive experience in a forward-thinking nonprofit
- Help build local, national, and global interest in Khan Lab School through storytelling
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, so apply today!
The responsibilities of the Storytelling Intern will vary based on the intern’s skills and professional goals.
In the past, these responsibilities have included:
- Content Creation
- Working under the direction of the Head of Marketing & Community, the Intern will create articles and content aligned with the school’s vision.
- Use quotes, transcripts, interviews, and in-person observations to draft updates and blog posts on behalf of Khan Lab School.
- Capture life at Khan Lab School through photography and video, with an aim to share the innovative work our teachers do each day.
- The Intern will gain a deep knowledge of Khan Lab School’s Learning Design and will work to create content about the life of the school that ties back to the Learning Design.
- Style Adherence/Editing
- The Intern will become familiar with the school’s style guide and learn how to create content within its guidelines.
- The Intern will edit content to adhere to the school’s style guidelines.
- Email Marketing
- The Intern will assist with creating Constant Contact e-newsletters.
- Marketing Goal-Setting & Reflection
- The Intern will meet on a regular basis with the Head of Marketing & Community to outline goals, reflect on challenges, and quantify the success of various marketing initiatives.
- Other Professional Responsibilities
- Maintains confidentiality regarding all school information, staff, children, and families.
- Maintains professional, respectful, and cooperative relationships with all co-workers and school families.
- Reports school observations and incidents (i.e. accidents and inappropriate social behavior) for the purpose of communicating information to appropriate personnel.
- Complies with all KLS policies, checklists, procedures, and administrative directions, as instructed by the supervisor.
- Preference will be given to candidates who are actively pursuing a degree or certification related to writing, communications, film, photography, digital art, or storytelling
- Exceptional writing skills required
- Demonstrated photography and video experience strongly preferred
- Communication and organizational skills
- Integrity and a demonstrated interest in bettering our world
- Passion for improving the education system
- Strong time management skills
- Equal parts self-starter and team player
- Commitment to continuous improvement and learning new things
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Ability to travel to Mountain View at least one day each week
VERY NICE TO HAVES:
- Experience in a previous job or internship related to writing/communication
- Personal website showcasing experience
- Experience working with Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience working in a multicultural educational environment
- Experience working with elementary and middle school students
- Multilingual and international experience
- This is an unpaid internship with a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization
- The ideal candidate will be able to commit at least 6 hours each week to the internship, with preference given to those who can commit to coming to campus at least one day each week
- The schedule is dependent upon the intern’s prior commitments but must be planned in advance with approval from the Head of Marketing & Community
SPECIAL SCHOOL EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
All Khan Lab School employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law prior to their start dates at Khan Lab School. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with Khan Lab School would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.