French Language Specialist
(Whole School, K-9, Independence Level 1 to 6)
(Part-Time: 30%, 12 hours)
ABOUT KHAN LAB SCHOOL
Khan Lab School is an independent school associated with Khan Academy. Our purpose is to develop new, personalized practices that center around the student. We believe that young people are capable of far more than society currently recognizes, and we create and test learning experiences to share with the world. Many of the core principles and ideas to be developed and tested in our school are outlined in Sal Khan’s book, The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined.
We currently serve 95 students ages 5-14 in Mountain View, California. In keeping with Sal Khan’s One World Schoolhouse philosophy, we provide an extended-year, extended-day, mixed-age program with a project-based learning approach. Recognizing that ownership and relationship are the keys to success in learning, our academic experience is coordinated by a team of Advisors, Content Specialists, and Associate Teachers who guide students through gradually increasing levels of independence.
Our teaching philosophy encourages meaningful inquiry and interdisciplinary work, and we utilize blended learning to meet the needs of each student. Thanks to our association with Khan Academy, we are leveraging the power of technology to humanize the classroom.
To learn more about our Vision & Learning Design, please visit our website: khanlabschool.org.
FRENCH LANGUAGE SPECIALIST RESPONSIBILITIES
The French Language Specialist is responsible for small group language instruction and tutoring. This Content Specialist will:
- Shape the Khan Lab School French language program across the whole school using best practices, based on experience and research
- Small Group Instruction & Tutoring: Provide individualized and small group instruction in reading, writing, and grammar.
- Adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student
- Teach students how to read, write, and understand the language
- Develop students’ understanding and appreciation of the culture of countries where the language is spoken
- Embed competencies in projects (ex: cognitive skills and character strengths, global citizenship, creation, purpose, and deeper learning concepts)
- Curate individual learning activities for personalized learning goals (ex: feedback and goal setting)
- Create and/or implement an interdisciplinary and academically rigorous curriculum
- Collect and reflect on student data; adjust instruction accordingly
- Communicate learning targets and outcomes to colleagues, parents, and students on a regular basis
- Commit to building a community of child-centered educators by mentoring other educators and making regular contributions to be shared publicly, including curriculum, best practices, research findings, etc.
- Collaborate with researchers, designers, technologists, and other educators to design and refine an innovative model for school education
- Have at least 5+ years experience teaching French at the elementary and middle school level
- Native speaker in French - English full professional proficiency (IBT >100)
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree, a Master’s Degree in Education, or equivalent
- Prior experience with project-based learning activities
- Prior experience with demonstrated academic results, and incorporating social-emotional learning into student experiences
- Prior experience with or a desire to teach in a setting that values giving up control and allowing students to make mistakes and gain maturity and self-motivation through independence
- Passion for working with and engaging children in student-driven learning experiences
- Belief in fostering children’s social-emotional capabilities
- Commitment to continuous improvement
- Entrepreneurial mindset and customer service orientation
- Flexibility. A LOT of flexibility. We are in startup mode, so every aspect of the Lab School is subject to change.
- Available to teach Mon-Fri, 9:00 to 2:00 p.m.
- Equal parts self-starter and team player
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
VERY NICE TO HAVES:
- Bilingual French/English
- A portfolio of project-based learning and applied learning lessons across multiple domains in French
- Experience in a multicultural school environment
- Multilingual and international experience
- Experience working with elementary through middle/high school aged students
- Prior experience leading curriculum development
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Free lunch and snacks
- Khan Lab School tuition discount