ABOUT KHAN LAB SCHOOL
Khan Lab School is an independent school associated with Khan Academy. Our purpose is to develop new, personalized practices that center around the student. We believe that young people are capable of far more than society currently recognizes, and we create and test learning experiences to share with the world. Many of the core principles and ideas to be developed and tested in our school are outlined in Sal Khan’s book, The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined.
We currently serve 95 students ages 5-14+ in Mountain View, California, and we are launching our Upper School in the fall of 2017. In keeping with Sal Khan’s One World Schoolhouse philosophy, we provide an extended-year, extended-day, mixed-age program with a project-based learning approach. Recognizing that ownership and relationship are the keys to success in learning, our academic experience is coordinated by a team of Advisors, Content Specialists, and Associate Teachers who guide students through gradually increasing levels of independence.
Our teaching philosophy encourages meaningful inquiry and interdisciplinary work, and we utilize blended learning to meet the needs of each student. Thanks to our association with Khan Academy, we are leveraging the power of technology to humanize the classroom.
To learn more about our Vision & Learning Design, please visit our website: khanlabschool.org.
ADMISSIONS MANAGER RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
As one of the school’s most visible spokespeople, the Admissions Manager plays a key role in authentically representing Khan Lab School to all constituents, including prospective families, students, alumni, the KLS team, and our parent community. This individual organizes recruitment, enrollment, and matriculation initiatives/events; oversees admissions processes and records; and orchestrates the network of parents, students, and alumni who assist with the admissions program. S/he is an ambassador on behalf of the school, a relationship builder, and an integral part of our success as we pioneer a student-centered model of education.
The Admissions Manager continuously monitors the efficacy of all admissions and enrollment initiatives and continues to evolve them to best achieve the goals set by the Head of School. S/he uses advanced metrics to determine the number of students the school may add to the incoming student body, based on expected graduations, promotions, transfers, and other departures from the school’s programs. This individual oversees the entire online admissions/application process at Khan Lab School and is adept at using technology to manage seamless processes.
The Admissions Manager leads the recruitment and selection of students who will be best served by the mission and vision of Khan Lab School. S/he reaches out to local schools and organizations to cultivate awareness about the educational opportunities available at our school, and s/he works to strengthen the school’s financial aid and inclusion initiatives under the guidance of the Head of School.
The Admissions Manager is a junction between applying, enrolled, and alumni families and represents the first point of contact as well as the face of the school for new families.
This position is full-time, with distribution of hours per day and presence in school office to be coordinated and approved by the Head of School.
Admissions & Recruitment
- Drives recruitment and admissions of a diverse school population.
- Manages the entire online admissions/application system & process.
- Screens all applicants through documents, interviews, and evaluations.
- Evaluates trends and establishes critical measurements for admissions.
- Leads tours and presentations for prospective families in collaboration with the Division Heads.
- Plans and executes admissions events, including Open Houses and shadow days, in collaboration with Division Heads and Parent Association.
- Collects and maintains electronic confidential admissions documents for prospective students.
- Manages admissions marketing materials, in collaboration with the Head of Marketing.Proposes and pursues innovations and state-of-the-art scalable processes in recruiting.
- Stays up-to-date on best practices in inclusiveness within the admissions program.
Enrollment & Re-Enrollment
- Leads the onboarding process for new students and families.
- Communicates information to stakeholders about new students.
- Manages the re-enrollment of current students for the succeeding year.
- Works to strengthen the school’s financial aid and inclusion initiatives.
- Evaluates financial aid applications in collaboration with Business Manager.
- Leads, in collaboration with the Division Heads, the recommendations process for new students’ IL transitions and transitions out of school.
Network & Relations
- Manages student and parent volunteers assisting in the admissions program.
- Builds strategic admissions relationships with local schools and organizations.
- Cultivates and maintains a strong understanding of the international educational landscape.
- Represents the school at fairs and recruitment events.
- Maintains a strong line of communication with all KLS team members in order to ensure an authentic admissions experience aligned with the school’s vision.
- Plans and executes admissions events, including Open Houses, the annual Welcome Picnic, and the New Parent Information Session.
- Organizes and trains student and parent ambassadors for recruitment events.
- Assists prospective families with relocation to ensure smooth transition.
- Conducts exit interviews.
Other Professional Responsibilities
- Develops admissions financial strategies in collaboration with the senior leadership team.
- Participates in administrative, management, and other committee meetings as necessary.
- Maximizes recruiting and admissions processes by using state-of-the-art technology.
- Complies with all KLS policies, checklists, procedures, and administrative directions, as instructed by Executive Director.
- Extensive experience working in admissions and recruitment
- Bachelor’s Degree, a Master’s Degree in Education, or equivalent
- Demonstrated commitment to education
- History of success building strategic relationships, coordinating events, and ensuring positive results at various stages within an acquisition funnel
- Passion for engaging students and families
- Commitment to continuous improvement
- Entrepreneurial mindset and customer service orientation
- Flexibility. A LOT of flexibility. We are in startup mode, so every aspect of the Lab School is subject to change.
- Equal parts self-starter and team player
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Meticulous and detail-oriented
- Public speaking skills and experience
- Experience leading admissions in a multicultural school environment
- Portfolio demonstrating successful initiatives, strategic leadership experience, and commitment to the education sector
- Multilingual and international experience
- Experience working with elementary through high school aged students
- Volunteer management experience
- Experience maintaining a detailed database
- Our approach to job titles and responsibilities is to reward sustained high performance in the Admissions Manager role with the possibility of promotion to Head of Admissions.
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- 401(k) with matching
- Free lunch, snacks, and coffee
- Khan Lab School tuition discount available to children of employees enrolled at KLS
SPECIAL SCHOOL EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
All Khan Lab School employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law and permitted by New York state law prior to their start dates at Khan Lab School. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with Khan Lab School would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
Please be aware that while Khan Lab School is able to facilitate transfers for certain types of work visas, we are also planning to offer original visa sponsorship. Please apply if you'd like to be considered for the role.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.