ABOUT KHAN LAB SCHOOL
Khan Lab School is an independent school associated with Khan Academy. Our purpose is to develop new, personalized practices that center around the student. We believe that young people are capable of far more than society currently recognizes, and we create and test learning experiences to share with the world. Many of the core principles and ideas to be developed and tested in our school are outlined in Sal Khan’s book, The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined.
We currently serve 95 students ages 5-14 in Mountain View, California. In keeping with Sal Khan’s One World Schoolhouse philosophy, we provide an extended-year, extended-day, mixed-age program with a project-based learning approach. Recognizing that ownership and relationship are the keys to success in learning, our academic experience is coordinated by a team of Advisors, Content Specialists, and Associate Teachers who guide students through gradually increasing levels of independence.
Our teaching philosophy encourages meaningful inquiry and interdisciplinary work, and we utilize blended learning to meet the needs of each student. Thanks to our association with Khan Academy, we are leveraging the power of technology to humanize the classroom.
To learn more about our Vision & Learning Design, please visit our website: khanlabschool.org.
The Office Administrator supports the Business Manager/Executive Assistant. The position is based on 40 hours of work per week with distribution of hours per day and presence in school office to be coordinated and approved by Executive Director.
OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR RESPONSIBILITIES
- The primary goal is to effectively and efficiently manage the lobby and greeting area of the school while maintaining professional standards.
- Interacts with administrative employees, teaching staff, students, customers, and outside services/vendors as smoothly as possible.
- Manages student attendance and guides visitors during check-in process.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for external constituencies on all matters pertaining to the Khan Lab School.
- Receives mail, fax, and email, answers phones, orders supplies, handles maintenance procedures, and manages the efforts of other employees.
- Performs clerical duties such as data entry, inventory, and other paperwork.
- Supports Business Manager/Executive Assistant in a great variety of areas, including fundraising.
- Maintains databases, files, and records necessary for the preparation, monitoring and review of the budget and audit.
- Plans, coordinates, and directs a broad range of services, such as catering, supply & reorder, memberships & subscriptions, as well as room schedule & management.
Please review the full job description which can be found here.
- Associate degree in business or secretarial science (two-year program)
- 3+ full years of experience in administrative positions and/or customer-facing roles
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and advanced Excel skills require, as well as Google Suite
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English as a first language)
- High level of professionalism, confidentiality, and exemplary interpersonal skills
- Extremely organized with meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to pinpoint problems and find creative solutions
- High level of initiative with strong sense of urgency and flexibility
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and dynamic environment
- Commitment to continuous improvement
- Entrepreneurial mindset and customer service orientation
- Flexibility. A LOT of flexibility. We are in startup mode, so every aspect of the Lab School is subject to change.
- Equal parts self-starter and team player
- Passion for connecting and influencing people to drive towards a shared business goal
VERY NICE TO HAVES:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in a multicultural school environment
- Multilingual and international experience
- Knowledge of international protocol desirable
- Nursing experience with children and teenagers
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- 401(k) with matching
- Free lunch and snacks
- Khan Lab School tuition discount
SPECIAL SCHOOL EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
All Khan Lab School employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law and permitted by New York state law prior to their start dates at Khan Lab School. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with Khan Lab School would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
Please be aware that while Khan Lab School is able to facilitate transfers for certain types of work visas, we are also planning to offer original visa sponsorship. Please apply if you'd like to be considered for the role.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.