Associate Teacher and Extended Day Coordinator
(Lower School) 2020-21
WHO WE ARE
About Khan Lab School
Khan Lab School (KLS) is a non-profit, mastery-based school founded by Salman Khan in 2014 to extend Khan Academy’s student-centered philosophy into a physical school environment. Furthering his vision for Khan Academy, Khan wrote and published The One World Schoolhouse, in which he argues for mastery-based, blended, and mixed-age learning coupled with a departure from traditional letter grades. Today the KLS community is bringing that vision to life on its own campus and also sharing knowledge within education more broadly.
In each academic area at KLS, progress is decoupled from age; the time it takes a student to finish a course will vary but the depth of mastery is constant. We believe that students cannot “master” a course by performing well on one assessment. Instead, students are expected to demonstrate mastery of all skills and content before they can obtain credit for a course, thereby reducing the number of “gaps” in their education.
Every student is assigned to a mixed-age cohort, which they can expect to be part of for two to three years. There are currently seven cohorts for students ages 5 to 18+. Students also partner with faculty to explore their passions and deepen their learning. The quality of learning remains high but as a lab school, instructional methods are constantly being reimagined and tested. Learning is supported through weekly 1:1 advising, real-world application, and a culture that fosters student agency. Faculty and students do not simply adhere to the status quo in education. As a lab school, KLS is a model for innovation in education.
The Associate Teacher and Extended Day Coordinator teaches a mixed-age group of students and assists with a range of activities around the academic, social, physical, and emotional well-being of the students.
We have found that professional educators who are adept at demonstrating skills of observation and inquiry, and who love to teach, collaborate, guide, and mentor children as they learn and play, are well suited for teaching at Khan Lab School. Associate Teachers are regularly expected to exercise discretion and independent judgement in the performance of their teaching duties. This Associate Teacher position reports to the Head of Lower School and the Extended Day Coordinator role reports to the Head of School and also partners with a teaching team and wider school community in support of the school’s mission and vision.
ASSOCIATE TEACHER RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support teachers with assessment, preparation of class materials, and classroom management
- Provide academic support and structure to students during independent work time
- Support individual students through one-on-one tutoring or small group instruction; promote academic success & character development
- Supervise & ensure safety of students, including before and after school, during lunch and transition times, and on field trips
- Fill in other school positions, such as substituting for teachers as needed
- Collaborate with researchers, designers, technologists, and other educators to design and refine an innovative education model
EXTENDED DAY COORDINATOR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Extended Day Program development including programs, budget, schedule, student rosters, and student attendance
- Ensure quality of programming
- Support communication among school community
- Plan, coordinate, and organize Extended Day events
- Supervise and ensure health and safety of students during Extended Day activities
- Hire, recruit, and manage Extended Day staff
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Experience working with elementary school age children
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualifications
- Passion for working with and engaging children in student-driven learning experiences
- Belief in fostering children’s social-emotional capabilities
- A sense of humor and warmth, and love working with children and their families, connecting easily with students, teachers, and parents
- Prior experience analyzing data and integrating educational technology
- Openness to feedback and continuous growth in a positive way
- Entrepreneurial mindset and service orientation
- Ability to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed
- Equal parts self-starter and team player
- Flexibility. A LOT of flexibility. We are in startup mode, so every aspect of the Lab School is subject to change.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Attention to detail and the ability to respond quickly to time sensitive requests
- Work ethic to actively participate in helping build a new school and commitment to continuous improvement
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- 401(k) with matching
- Free on-campus lunch, coffee, and snacks
- Khan Lab School tuition discount
SPECIAL SCHOOL EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
All Khan Lab School employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law prior to their start dates at Khan Lab School. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with Khan Lab School would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
Khan Lab School admits qualified students of any race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, marital status, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, or any other status protected by applicable law to all rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. Khan Lab School does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, marital status, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, or any other status protected by applicable law in the administration of its educational policies, admissions and financial assistance policies, and athletic and other school-administered programs, as well as in all areas of employment including hiring, discipline, promotion, and termination. Khan Lab School is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the School’s non-discrimination policies, including its Title IX policy:
Name: Jessica Peters
Title: School Counselor and Director of SEL
Office Address: 1200 Villa Street, Suite 100, Mountain View, CA 94041
Telephone Number: (650) 761-4784
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
For assistance related to Title IX or other civil rights laws, please contact the Office of Civil Rights at OCR@ed.gov or 800-421-3481, TDD 800-877-8339.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.